Shed dormer on tiny house

GroverJR

Hi, I am trying to manually draw a shed dormer for my tiny house. I can do it making the "dormer" the second level only, but then the exterior wall blocks the view to the open area below. So... here is a different idea and I need your all knowledgeable help. As you can see in the one image, the dormer walls drop all the way to the "floor" level instead of following the roof line. The outside looks right, but I can't get the interior to work out. I've attached the plan as well. Play around and let me know if you have an questions about it. Oh, and the idea is pretty straight forward from the outside view, so delete or change any interior walls as needed.

Thanks!

TEMP.plan

outside.jpg

dormer_walls.jpg

Draw invisible walls directly under the dormer on the first floor and then designate that enclosed area on its "Structure Tab" to be "No Ceiling above this room" and that should then remove the ceiling revealing the upper dormer from the first floor vantage point. Give that a try please.

DJP

I tried it but no luck, the dormer walls still drop to the "floor" as before. Ultimately, the dormer floor will be there (it becomes the sleeping loft), but since it is back slightly from the dormer walls, the opening will allow a sight-line to the other first-floor section.

Yeah, this work around has been suggested before when I was trying to do this build a few months ago. It doesn't really work well either. It bugs me because I could use automatic dormers, but I get errors because the walls are too close, etc. Just another limitation in the software I suppose.

If anyone comes up with a solution that works (I posted the .plan to try it out), please let me know. Thanks!