Control of Beginning Elevation for Stairs

Bcavender

I have a structure that started entirely with a crawlspace, but in one area I need to change to add a small, full height basement room (using HDA Architectural 2017).

I added the deeper foundation walls in Level 0 and a slab floor with no problem.

When I try to create a stair starting from the new Level 0 reference slab to the first floor, the base elevation level that the stairs begin with is not the absolute level of the top of the slab, but somehow related/controls to the foundation defaults in my earlier configuration.  After looking a good while for a way to base the stair bottom elevation on the new basement slab or simply set the riser height (greyed out) I am at a dead end to simply add stairs to the new lower level.  It is like the software is not picking up the new elevation of the slab that I am drawing the stairs on.

59740aa52f235_Stairwillnotgotobasementslab.thumb.jpg.cf36aac692251b0e35e07fe0b7dbede9.jpg            59740c20abc28_SlabElevation.thumb.jpg.be82783db82c0b9031edf959b6474cc5.jpg

The HDA2017 Reference says the stringers should start on the slab that I created in Level 0 ...

59741259df772_Stringersstartondrawnlevel.thumb.jpg.eee4afd7e938c9ab8b6054c93359397f.jpg

Just to double check, I created a test file, rebuilt the foundation setting the entire structure to a full basement (deleting my crawlspace/newly inserted walls/levels/etc) and the stair immediately extended to the full basement level.

59740ab44e3cf_Rebuildfoundation.thumb.jpg.7a9db3edcca40dc51a49dbe0efff28a2.jpg

Can anyone suggest the proper procedure of how I should go about creating both a crawlspace/small full basement subsection that allows stairs to begin at the lower level with HDA Architectural 2017?

I am clearly missing how to guide the software to the results I need through the software settings.

I would appreciate any help with a workaround on this problem.

Best regards,

Bruce

Stair objects seek out the "DEFAULT" floor height you set or failed to set in "Edit - Default Settings - Current Floor" for floor zero, they will not seek out an added slab as you have done. Set the Default floor height for the entire floor to your basement height and the separate area you want higher set that by its local Room Specification Dialog - Structure Tab - Floor Height. When you have done that the stair object will then "behave". Software, any software is just a preprogrammed mechanical device and "knows" only what you tell it to know. You you do not do it properly, you get what you got.

DJP

David,

The key point I had not yet learned about the software was there are 'defaults' for EACH  floor.  That is intuitive with a little further thought. Just had not got there yet.

Deleting the slabs and entering the default solved my GIGO problem easily.

FIX.thumb.jpg.ceae8b3643300b04c80fd594d9779451.jpg

Thank you for your quick response!

Best regards,

Bruce