Shed roof dormers + shed roof porches on cape cod?

snorswal

I am just learning the program, and realize my older and less expensive version may have limitations.... I would like to keep the style shown in the 3D rendering on the left, but when I add manually drawn dormers (as shown on the right)  my roof goes haywire.  My first question would be, is my project doable with this program.  The second would be ...how??? :) I am attempting to reproduce the home in the photo.

Shelly  HD 2014 Essentials

Capture.thumb.PNG.80eec63b913210db6d54c2f2ed32f95b.PNG

IMG_4668.JPG

I think your holdup will be removing the roof in front of the dormer.

Otherwise, you should be able to get close. Essentials is limited in many areas, so post back here for workarounds.

What's happening to your roof?

This was done with the Auto Dormer tool, how are you doing a manual dormer?

Snap1.thumb.png.d6fc339035b9ff29769230366223af47.png

I don't think I have the auto dormer as an option.  I used the tutorial to learn how to manually draw them.  Were you able to open the plan? (don't know if I posted it correctly) It should show how crazy the roof gets with porch and dormer combo.  No problems with dormers only, or porches only, but the auto roof goes nuts when asked to do both.  

• 1 month later...

I am having this same issue. I have drawn the three walls and classified them as gable walls. But once I do this it's like I am unable to select the side walls and modify them. I have watched the videos and went through step by step but I am still struggling with this for some reason. I am running CA X9 but when I google the issue this link came up and its been recent so I figured I would post my problem here. I have tried breaking the front wall at the dormer width and set that broken section to a shed/high roof but in the attach plan you can see the craziness I am dealing with. This is as close as I can get to be "correct" but it seems so far away. Lol

In the solution to the OP:

I assume that the roof is to be built on the first floor correct? 

Do you raise/lower the roof from the ceiling height in the roof height section of the roof settings?

Do the three walls for the dormer need to be drawn on the second floor or first floor?

When I draw the front wall of the dormer is gets incorporated in the main front wall of the house and I can't modify it.

I feel like it's something small/simple that I am missing but I just can't seem to figure it out. Attached is the test plan that I am working with now. I have removed the walls of the dormer area since I wasn't having any luck with them working.

Dormer Test.plan