Roof Trusses with auto/build roof

MrWizard

HDPro v. 2017

Building a 2-level 1350 sqft house w/ shed roofs lower level & porch, and gable roofs upper level, w/ 2 dormers either side of main upper roof.  Pic attached shows result from auto-generated roofs.

149RoofView01.thumb.jpg.f6a4da190156b97fbf16f100cad13e10.jpg

I would like to better understand the relationship of trusses to auto-build roof.  It would appear that IF there are trusses specified in some areas, the 'Build Roof Planes' should not change the roof planes in those  areas while generating added roof features.  I enjoyed DJPotter video re/ scissor trusses and was successful in creating truss & section views to create the truss depiction.   I have learned how to generate the truss diagram(s) for output to a layout.  ScisTruss01.thumb.jpg.7acc66d5f3ff91e32effd09a045649bd.jpg

Really only requires building one truss.  But for Materials List, I think I may need to draw ALL the trusses so that the Material List generates accurate cost roll-up.  

I'm intending to build a model good enough to turn over to a professional designer to generate full-size drawing for permit review.  

Would you recommend I pursue creating all trusses, or simply create the diagrams and leave the model as built w/ auto-generated roofs?  

I'm concerned that if I build trusses everywhere I may generate more framing requirements, particularly at the intersections of dormer roof planes w/ main upper level roof planes.  This may create more work than necessary.  

Should I consider building one truss to get the specifications, and then modifying the Materials List count?  

Will this create some materials duplication in the List?

Thanks, anybody for comments and suggestions

Bob Begin

Mr. W. Unless you are a State LIcensed Structural Engineer I would not bother building trusses since it is not legal for you to design them by law. Trusses are designed by Engineers only in the USA, the material that goes into them is rather useless as well since lumber or truss companies working with Engineers make and sell them as units, customized for a particular home design. I draw them under the supervision of Engineers but usually I just note "Trusses by Truss company or Engineer", lumber companies and Engineers do their own drawings usually that go with your drawings. Home Designer and Chief Premier are NOT engineering programs and are not substitutes for licensed professionals assigned by the State.

DJP

Thanks so much for the info on Trusses, David:

My question was mostly about the Materials List.  I'm guessing that HDPro identifies the materials that go into the roof.  By adding trusses, I'm wondering if I'm creating additional items in the materials list that might need to be edited?  

I agree; seems like a lot of bother to model trusses.  I'm  thinkin' just create the representation showing dims and give those to the lumberyard... done.  

BTW, excellent videos you have authored on multiple subjects.  Very appreciated!

thanks -

Bob Begin

Building a roof, roof plane, using auto or manual roof tools does not build framing.

If you do not build framing, there is nothing in the materials list.

Have you reviewed the materials list? It sounds like you plan on giving it to your supplier and expecting to get a materials package tailored for your build. 

1 hour ago, MrWizard said:

I'm guessing that HDPro identifies the materials that go into the roof.

No actually the "Materials List" is merely a measure of how accurately you built your 3D model, your own knowledge of building techniques and NOTHING else. IT measures only where and how you built your 3D model. Few new users are schooled enough to completely duplicate in a 3D model every cubic foot of concrete to every stick of lumber and masonry. Anyone who hires me to do such a thing I tell them up front that such a construct usually takes ten times the effort necessary for a model good enough just for construction documentation. The model and its settings must be perfect in every detail and then double-triple checked to make sure that is so. 

Home Designer and Chief Premier software is not a "take off" application. .plan files can be very useful for gaining the raw data necessary for a "take off" or materials list indeed but is not a substitute for experienced competence of a builder-estimator. Many of the Professionals who use Chief Premier and do professional take offs (materials lists) use Chief for raw data and use a second application specifically designed for doing materials estimation.

I am not saying it is impossible to do using Home Designer Pro or Premier, what I am saying is that is a lot more than merely setting defaults and making a .plan file "look" like the intended structure. It requires master craftsperson type skill and knowledge in using and emulating in detail the structure inside and out, from foundation to roof framing. To the degree you miss perfection determines the accuracy of any resulting Materials List thus derived. The software does not somehow magically make up for one's ignorance of how things are built, rather it just does what you tell it to do and then measures what you told it to do.

DJP

Thanks, Solver & David both, for your comments:

I see the Materials list as a useful thing.  

Also see it's another work assignment to get it accurate.  I think it could be helpful for things like volume of concrete, maybe total BF dimensional lumber, etc.  As David so nicely put it, the model isn't the entire story for the project.  It's a source for other expert disciplines.

Thank you all for helping me to better understand the scope and application for Materials List.