Floor Joist Height

Peregrin

So I think I read this in another post, but am I really seeing this right, and you can't edit the floor structure height (L) with HomeDesigner Architectural version?  If so does anyone know of a workaround.  I have to say if this is correct it is one of the most ridiculous limitations; just trying to set my original house floor height correct so I can work on a small addition.

Basement Joist Height.png

• Upvote 1

The only workaround available is to raise the floor height and ceiling heights to create more space between the first floor ceiling and the second floor, floor height. I have never tried this because I use Home Designer Pro and Chief Premier where I do not have to come up with unusual solutions but I suppose you could try this or just upgrade to Home Designer Pro.

DJP

A workaround:

Does your floor structure height (L) need to be less?

Change the entire floor level room type to "SLAB".   The slab floor structure (L) is only 4".

Since Architectural doesn't show framing anyway, go ahead and set your floor finish  (K)  to what ever dimension it needs to be, to replicate the final finished floor height that you need.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I just found this limitation as well.  What an amazingly bad limitation.  If you want to make anything other than a 4" floor, Architectural appears to be worthless.  Seems ridiculous to put a 11" floor finish on my 4" default floor to get the right dimensions.  How many other half-a$$ work arounds will I have to devise to complete my as-built drawings?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jimcheney said:

I just found this limitation as well.  What an amazingly bad limitation.  If you want to make anything other than a 4" floor, Architectural appears to be worthless.  Seems ridiculous to put a 11" floor finish on my 4" default floor to get the right dimensions.  How many other half-a$$ work arounds will I have to devise to complete my as-built drawings?

IF you need this sort of creative structural freedom well that is what Home Designer Pro and Chief Architect Premier are for, any other software title is for hobby persons and tinkerers only, Pro and Premier are for Professionals, that is all you are confronted with.

DJP

• Downvote 1

Is it really floor structure(L) you need to change, or is it floor (C) that you need to change?  Floor (C) is most always set to "0" and the terrain elevation is what gets changed to raise or lower the house from the ground.

If it actually really is floor structure(L), then you need to re-read what I said.  For a bigger floor structure, stick with the default (12 5/8) and add only a few inches to the floor finish (K)  to get what you need.