Roof line appears over incomplete house envelope

greenacresmama

Hi! I am about to hand over my plans to draftsman team. I am having an issue with the roof line. It is great but near our balcony, a second roof appears out of no where, right next to the balcony "room" but not over it (I could fix that easily). It is lower since it is 3 ft from the edge of the home, not over balcony. I did a floor reference display and found that on the second floor only, it displayed an incomplete house envelope section. I have tried going to each floor and clicking.. respanning that wall.. nothing seems to work right. Each house envelope is always complete on each floor, but this one where the roof pops out, displayed in red- it was incomplete and exactly right there where this roof (overhang) appears, making a little gable that crosses into the one coming down where the roof is perfect, a simple 8/12 pitch on a white farmhouse. I would not like to remake the wall because everything is exactly and fear what it will mess up! Can you offer me any advice on what might be going wrong? I am deleting the surface now for pictures. Thank you! Leslie 

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 9.49.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 9.48.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-10 at 10.15.36 PM.png

8 hours ago, greenacresmama said:

I am not sure exactly how to upload my plan, but I thought maybe pictures of the screen would be a good start. 

You close your software application whatever it is. Then find the.plan file that you are working on where it is located on your hard drive. You can, if you have a Windows PC right-click on that plan file and select "Send to compressed archive". This command makes a compressed (.zip) file of your plan file, reducing its size in megabytes and makes it then easy to attach to your forum posts so others can then see exactly what you did to cause the problems you have.

DJP

• Upvote 1

Hi. Thank you so much! Been crazy around here with life. I am sorry for the delay. Here is the Zip file.. I appreciate anyone opening this up on their system and helping! Thank you! .. We have some out of line walls in the plan - but that wall shouldn't be affected or in question. We are working from opposite corner going in.. we are talking traditional lumber and rim joist with this house and working on translating those fine details. Anyway.. I fixed the walls anyway in a newer version but it had no effect on that roof line.

no furniture.plan.zip

Since you did not share with us what software application (version number and title) you created the file in I still cannot tell you exactly what to do. If you have Suite, Deck Designer, Essentials, or Architectural Jo_Ann's advice should work, if you have Pro you can just left-click-select the unwanted roof plane and then delete it. By process of elimination I figure you have a "2015" title but I still do not know which one.

DJP

Hi David.. Goodness! I did but I am sorry. I don't know if that Sig page was saved for sure. I am running out of data (rural living!) and I need to go to the library for the rest of the time I guess to spend time on changes.. But I am using HD 2015 Build: 16.4.1.20OX.. Thank you so much for your time.. sorry for the PITA.. 

There is alot of issues with the plan...is this a work in progress?

On the 2nd floor there's 3 large bedrooms, 1 large bathroom and 1 small closet.

There's walls on the 1st floor that are not needed, the wall at the stairwell should be deleted.

Architectural blocks are used for a door and a shelf(s).

In the bathrooms and other rooms, custom countertops are overused and so are the soffits.

The ceiling heights are odd because the floor finish is 6"?

I'll see what I can come up with.....

• Upvote 1

Hi! It is very kind of you to honor me with your time LawB10! I did spend a long time editing plan yesterday, but not sure how much look would look better in your eyes. Tiny bits were a tiny bit out of line.. each room got a little something but not far off at all from what you see.

Here is the whole story! Super condensed..

It is not a usually home. 

GC with husband while we both are stock investors, farmers and homeschooling parents. We have skills but not tons of time.. want to make treehouse time.. and we need some serious plans, with another set of eyes from skilled people we hoped they could help at this stage too

I fixed a lot of walls on stairs.. I will try to find an outing where I can load new plan and with furniture (may explain all sorts of curiosities but not a software issue I am having with my work- not software- I think it is my mess.. it would still be relevant to this thread.. the roof problem..

All the shelving in the hallway is to support office supplies, printer and recycling for all? Not sure where you meant the block. I often make them to center things related.  

In the 1st floor  potty, there is a halfwall. The half wall is for two things.. it looks cool as a shelf. The potty is one off those wall system kind... the sink I had a really hard time with. I don't really care how it ends up but I want the end result to be clean. I think I should have just stuck to making it from shapes.. I went back to it and tried again. Thank you. .. the modern sink things can be very simple. Not something that is bought as a vanity thing. Very easy to clean because of the way it is very open underneath. I was just playing with ideas. I was trying to make a vanity in the downstairs by using these ideas, trying to make a shelf near sink to put folded hand towels under (farm dirt and kid dirt is too much to share one for drying) trying to hide waste and laundry behind a possible support for sink. I have a lot of Pinterest ideas but I am hoping to flow with how it turns out with what we find.. slabs of wood or marble scrap.. etc. 

I am really not seeing where there are too many soffits. Soffit above the stove implying vent.. didn't find vent looking like this one. Soffit?... hmmm.. I just have so very little! Do you maybe mean the cornice peice over the windows and doors? I had such a pita with them after we boosted the plan with elevations. I just got them finally alllllllll perfect! 

The 6" floor thingy... I have a wonderful husband but I am not understanding him on this. He is convinced this is how the floor will be built.. we can't change something.. I have forgotten.. so long ago! It was one way I tried to chill him out. This is one thing that will get ironed out with draftsman team. It is like him to talk to the lumber supplier and come back with a specific detail and ask me to put in plan and we get stuck. The "structure" dialog box is my least fav. I am sorry to say I barely care. We have basic height for this house and I don't think I will be shocked or disappointed.. actually it will probably appear taller I think than the plan due to this you bring up.. I am sorry! I don't know how to fix this one but will bring it up at our meeting! Thank you! 

The closet upstairs is for my husband, he dresses outdoors/farmer but we are going to share a bit of that closed door space for our nicest clothes we may actually wear in the year. We both have simple style and are not afraid to let go often. If it all breaks down, we will finish the room at the end of the hall, but we might also finish it for this new baby on the way too and build dormers. Our kids are stil afraid of the dark and sleep with us most of the time .. we aren't worried! This room could become a little treasure attic space and so that is why there is at least a door and storage truss or cathedral framing here. Anyway..  The alcove looking thing parallel to it his closet is where I will have a curtain hanging over half the space (clothing rod) and a narrow tall dresser. It makes a lot more sense with furniture,  the other spaces fit our dressers...My closet is to allow light, not compete with balcony doors and to also allow pendant to shine in room.. crazy amount of lights in this place! Maybe reading lighting designing books was a good or bad thing?! The kids rooms will not have closets yet. My kids are playful and picky. They had very artistic demands and are growing taller (to that rod) I will allow them to nestle into their bed positions and we can pick the closets after. Open style is becoming trendy and I care a lot about how kids grow and change with their new moods and heights anyway. It would be like asking for a hanging rod for them in a pantry! I am sure we will find something but I would be surprised if it is more than 18 inches wide. Having a super small closet that is the wrong size or in the wrong place someday seems very expensive. I am taking their lead and lettting them be more free flow. I can see a shallow wall of full pine shelving types with cabinets and drawers from Ikea Ivar easily for them. They have more collections and toys.. and maybe 5 hanging items!

Thank you for your time! Be back soon.. new plans look far better... but on that roof thing.. I am about to go have another try at it. 

greenacresmama,

The software has a lot of automation, if you use footings for the foundation it's floor structure 12 5/8" and the ceiling structure is 5 1/2".

If it's a slab it's 4 1/2" so there's no need to change the default finish. Adding walls and other things can cause the roof to build wrong.

When using the material painter, don't use the P as that paints everything the color use choose.

The overuse of soffits and custom countertops, for example a soffit was used for the range hood, no need to do that , just look in the library

for the size you want. For the cabinets, open the specification box, click the front face and click opening, uncheck shelves and resize and move

the separation piece. Corner boards work but they should be a different color to see the them, on the basement patio if you are not going to enclose

it with windows or screens, there's no need for a door lol kinda like locking your car doors with the windows down.

Here's what I came up with.. I set everything to default and guessed what the ceiling heights were...

59454a5be790c_nofurniture.thumb.png.984056be375b1f94e61d875b594d9f5d.pngno furniture-1.zip

• Upvote 1