Accurate Move Walls

vterpe

I rarely use Home Designer Pro 10 (this is my second time in 7 years) so I am not going to pay to upgrade to 2017 even though it seems to have been greatly improved.  That said, I hope someone can help me.

I am using metric units.

I have two parallel walls and I want the inside separation to be 127 cm or (because Pro 10 only seems to use mm) 12700 mm, but when I drag one wall it will only jump in 10 or 20 mm units.  How can I move it precisely?

Thanks

1 hour ago, solver said:

1) Please fill out your Signature -- see below.

2)

Use temporary dimensions. You never drag if you want accurate moves, unless you are using snaps.

--------------

It helps if we know what title (Suite, Pro etc) and version (2014, 2015 etc) you are using. You can add this info to your signature by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. Doing so makes it always available, and this info is often key to providing a good suggestion

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Thanks for the advice.

1) I will add my software title to my signature - I did say in my post I am using Home Designer Pro 10 because I knew it would be needed.

2) I have already set the snap to dimension to 1 mm, so I assumed I should be able to snap to that smallest dimension but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

3) Sorry, I didn't use the built in help because in most programs it is usually not good, but I see in HDP it seems to be useful.  My search of Google didn't produce any good results so I came here. I'll do more reading in the built in help.

Thanks for the quick reply and pointers.

1 hour ago, solver said:

Did you try the temporary dimensions, and did they work for you?

Not yet, I have two small children who prevent me from focusing on projects. I'll have to check help for "temporary dimensions" first and let you know. 

18 hours ago, vterpe said:

I have two parallel walls and I want the inside separation to be 127 cm or (because Pro 10 only seems to use mm) 12700 mm, but when I drag one wall it will only jump in 10 or 20 mm units.  How can I move it precisely?

I rarely use "Temporary Dimensions" for something I actually care about. When I need exactitude, I use manual dimensions and these dimension points can be manually edited and or you can preset such tendencies by way of "Edit  - Default Settings - Dimensions - Locate Objects". When it matters I use manual dimension strings and points, zooming in the make sure the dimension points are exactly where I need them to be. That is my advice.

DJP

14 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I rarely use "Temporary Dimensions" for something I actually care about.

Why not? They should have the same accuracy as any of the other dimension tools.

About the only time I use a manual dimension is when a temporary dimension to some object is not available.