Moldings and Soffits not working correctly on interior walls

ChiefUserJenni47

I am having an issue with getting soffits and moldings to work correctly in my model. It seems that the interior walls in the house that are not connected to the exterior walls will not have any moldings on them and I don't know how to fix this issue. I want them to be connected with a 9" soffit where the walls are not currently connected. When I place the soffit it adhere to only a part of a wall, but is malfunctioning in the kitchen and front room area. I have not turned moldings off in any of the rooms. Please let me know if there is any way to fix this issue. I am using Home Designer Professional 2018.

Thank you,

Jenni

Soffit_Error1.PNG

Soffit_Error2.PNG

Soffit_Error3.PNG

Soffit_Error4.PNG

Perhaps, instead of ending the walls to create the openings, you continue the wall and then insert a door opening of the appropriate height to provide these soffits.

Example, if the room height is 96" and you want a 9" soffit, insert a door opening and change the height to 87" instead of the standard 80"

• Upvote 1

Like rfcomm2k said, make that one wall and use a doorway. You don't have to change the height of the doorway, unless you want to...

As for the soffit, if you change the height of the soffit you have to change the floor to bottom height as well. The default height of a soffit

is 24" and a floor to bottom height of 90", if the soffit is 9" then the floor to bottom height is 115" .

• 3 weeks later...

rfcomm2k, this method worked perfectly for me everywhere except where I have a straight half wall. I have tried a few different methods and nothing seems to work the way I want it to. When I have the walls built the way I want them I try to use a soffit and the soffit doesn't attach to the walls with the molding correctly. When I have the soffit placed and try to build the straight half-wall under it the same thing happens to the half-wall. One or the other works, but not both and its making me a little crazy!

crosscutter55, thank you! I was using the wrong measurement for the cabinets. Those are fixed now. I was using the rough ceiling height and not the finished ceiling height for that.

Thanks again to all for the help and suggestions!

Soffit_Error5.PNG

Soffit_Error6.PNG

I have found that the obvious gets overlooked sometimes  !! Setting all the defaults  , before you start drawing is important  set what you are sure of  !! Use elevation cameras to double check ! !

perspective views show that there is a problem , elevations , cross sections show where & what to fix .