Gable Roof With Shed Roof

KarenC63

I have need of a custom roof . . . I want a basic Gable Roof over PART of the house and then a Shed Roof over the 4 exterior sides of the house and decks. I have no idea how to make this happen . . .  I am attaching an image of my design (my sketch) and also one elevation from the Program.   

post-669-0-00740300-1410795522_thumb.jpgpost-669-0-77361900-1410795533_thumb.jpg

Actually Karen it looks like a Dutch Gable (also called a Dutch ­hip roof) with gable Roof over the Porch at the Rear , however I don't think it is possible with Suite as you can't manually edit Roof Planes .

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00749/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Creating-a-Dutch-Hip-Roof.html

However I found a way that works , I posted in a thread about this in July

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/182-gable-not-at-end-of-roof/?hl=%2Bdutch+%2Bgable#entry915

Thanks for checking this out for me.  I tried to follow your thread but it took me to the top of this page each time I clicked on it.  I have been having trouble making a very simple Gable Roof so I will continue working on that and maybe I can add the Shed Roof in places. Otherwise I have my own personal drawings for the roofs to follow once we begin building. I still have 2 years until we build. This program is helping me to take my sketched floor plans into drawings that my builder can work with, and making sure my walls are going to bear the weight of the roof etc.  Thanks again.

I agree with Mick in that Suite is not capable of creating a Dutch or Texas Gable. Otherwise you should be able to get close in terms of the covered porches. 

That is done in each of the exterior wall dialog boxes-roof tab where you can then preprogram each wall to have a compound roof pitch situation over the walls that define the porch roofs (there is a input box on the "Roof Tab" for "Pitch and then Second Pitch" so over such programmed walls the sofware, once properly set will then build a low pitched roof and then a steeper pitched roof over areas so programmed by you.

If you really need it done correctly in every way you would be better off to have Home Designer Pro that has manual roof tools and other enhancements that once learned would then inable you to create whatever you desire. Suite is very able but not in the area of complex roof design and creation.

DJP

You can do this with Suite.

This is just an example--your own dimensions will determine what the settings are for your roof walls (and they are very specific).  You will need to play with those settings until you get it right.  The red walls are the 2nd floor walls.

When the roof is correct, then turn off 'auto build roof', and THEN you can raise the finished ceiling height of floor 3.

post-63-0-28516200-1410923057_thumb.jpg

Sorry Karen ,my last post wasnt too clear , I meant the official Line is that you need Pro to do the Dutch Gable back in July JoAnn and I played with this for another User and found it is possible without Pro but requires a BUNCH of Fiddling with heights and extra floors..... 

not sure what is up with that link to my post in July ?  but try this link ,scroll down to see my and JoAnn's post's.

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/182-gable-not-at-end-of-roof/?hl=%2Bdutch+%2Bgable#entry915

• 1 month later...

Hi,

New to this forum and the product.  We have Suite 2015.  We are trying what seems like an impossible feat.  We are trying to create a typical barn shape roof which I think is Gambrel.  Then to put what I would guess is two shed roofs over each side.  It is in essence a Gambrel and a Gull wing mixed.  A Gambrel with wings that can be closed in or not closed in.  I am not sure how to get a photo in here to show what I am talking about.  Thanks for any input!

EVR you should start ur own thread about this...and if you do a forum search on how to post pics there is some good ones but

use File>Export>Picture (Jpg) to take "snapshots" of your plan view and 3d camera views too , then attach them to a post by going to the "more Reply Options" after you click post and there is a button on the bottom left to Choose/attach files. once the file is uploaded make sure to "add it to the post" on the right hand side. ( you will see a link added to the post only then which shows up once you submit the post)

you can also use the Window's Snipit Tool in Accessories to take screen grabs and post as above

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/8-how-to-get-good-answers-when-you-ask-questions/

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/221-how-to-take-pics-of-your-plan-to-post-here/?hl=%2Bpost+%2Bpics