Roof Line Angles Up

Ande1314

I have been working on my dutch gable roof.  There is a random gutter line that will not disappear and another line that shoots upwards.  I have gone down by 100th's of an inch on the dutch gable ceiling height to try to fix it, but alas it is still there.

gutter.jpg

Sometimes, online, people do not realize that others may have feelings because they do not remember posts are from other humans.  Taking a few minutes to use polite words versus sarcasm can go a very long way in making the world a better place for everyone.

The plan needs a makeover, there's just to much stuff in it.

First use the default ceiling heights for for the 1st and second floor. Rename the "Room type"  on the first floor, the room type is Living but the room name is Laundry.

That's throughout the whole plan. Lower the family room floor so the stair is usable. Check the wall alignments, are the wall niches needed in the bathrooms?

Remove the invisible walls from the Garage and use the break wall tool or Gable above window tool.

Both the Exterior and the interior have too much stuff  lol...

After taking a look at your plan, I'll suggest you put off the roof until everything else is correct.

Get the basement, floor and ceiling heights, stairs etc, all correct, then focus on the roof.

The roof structure is influenced by everything below. I've seen someone work with Suite, for example, to coerce the program into building a roof, then adjust something below by 1/4" and have the roof change completely.

I also suggest starting over with a new plan, keeping it simple and devoid of everything except the structure. Set your defaults as best you can, and fix each issue as they come up.

You really need Pro and an understanding of manual roofs for this model.

Wow LawB10 you have been busy!  I appreciate your assistance and am very impressed!! 

The house I am working on is a remodel, so the ceiling heights I am putting in are the dimensions of the current house.  The only addition being added is the new foyer and porch, and the back grill deck.  The ceiling heights I am using are what currently exist in the split level build, but when using those dimensions I am having an awful time getting the exterior to appear as it should.  If I utilize ceiling heights that make the exterior appear correctly then the interior does not look correct. 

I am thinking perhaps I should utilize your ceiling heights and use soffits on the ceilings for the floor with the Laundry, 3/4 Bath, Office and Family Room.  What is your thought on that idea?

Several people suggested that I correct the room type drop down to the correct room type.  I am currently working on making that correction. but now I am wondering what importance that holds?  I thought, most likely incorrectly, that the room name was just for personal reference.  Can someone explain how the room type effects the software?  Thank you!

LawB10:  I have to say I really love your solution/technique for the family room/dining room wall and stairs.  I have never used the pass through window option; it is really a fantastic tool.

Again thank you.

5 hours ago, Ande1314 said:

Wow LawB10 you have been busy!  I appreciate your assistance and am very impressed!! 

The house I am working on is a remodel, so the ceiling heights I am putting in are the dimensions of the current house.  The only addition being added is the new foyer and porch, and the back grill deck.  The ceiling heights I am using are what currently exist in the split level build, but when using those dimensions I am having an awful time getting the exterior to appear as it should.  If I utilize ceiling heights that make the exterior appear correctly then the interior does not look correct. 

I am thinking perhaps I should utilize your ceiling heights and use soffits on the ceilings for the floor with the Laundry, 3/4 Bath, Office and Family Room.  What is your thought on that idea?

Turn off Auto rebuild roofs and then change the ceiling heights to what you want. With Auto rebuild turned off, the roof will not rebuild if you change ceiling heights. Just don't turn it back on if you change the ceiling heights.

5 hours ago, Ande1314 said:

Several people suggested that I correct the room type drop down to the correct room type.  I am currently working on making that correction. but now I am wondering what importance that holds?  I thought, most likely incorrectly, that the room name was just for personal reference.  Can someone explain how the room type effects the software?  Thank you!

The room type matters because it won't auto place outlets in bathrooms and closets. Garages, Porches, Balconies/decks and slabs wont be counted as living space. There's a tool called plan check (you had 124 errors  lol) and it gives you the minimum the requirements for that room type i:e smoke detectors for bedrooms, kitchens.etc. It also suggests the minimum size the room type has to be.

To see for yourself, build a room and name it Porch look in 3d view and see what it does, then rename it balcony, then deck, then slab. etc.

3 hours ago, Ande1314 said:

LawB10:  I have to say I really love your solution/technique for the family room/dining room wall and stairs.  I have never used the pass through window option; it is really a fantastic tool.

Again thank you.

Your Welcome.