The whole wall won't build?

Traumranch

What is going on with my walls? Auto rebuild is on, the walls are not set to 'retain wall framing' and no matter what i do they just won't finish the way they should? There isn't enough lumber or drywall?

I have tried doing the framing myself with no help. There isn't enough 2x4's and i don't know how to draw any extras. On the second one, the siding doesn't go all the way into the corner. Is this a glich in the program or am I doing something wrong? How can I fix this? I am nearly ready to finish the plans and create the layout but this is driving me nuts! HELP!!

Home Design Pro 2017

Untitled 1.jpg

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

Untitled 4.jpg

I have figured out the issue with framing on the first picture. I have spent the last three hours staring at this thing trying to figure out what was going wrong, and the issue was that I left the raised platform where I was originally going to install a wood stove. It was preventing the wall from being built properly. LOL I have still yet to figure out why the second images isn't finishing properly.

I've actually been working on it since I posted the question most if not all of the problems you mentioned are probably taken care of now. I just did a plan check and it says there are no problems! YA! That is a first for this project!

Do you have any suggestions as to how to fix the wall? I fixed the roof height there thinking that was the issue, but no luck. I have noticed that it is allowing the molding to wrap around the wall from the inside of the room onto the siding? How do I fix that?

Uploading the new file now. What stands out the most to you? We are hoping to start building this in the fall. This is a personal project, and I know only what I have managed to find out on my own. Can you offer some advice? Is there anything wrong structurally? I am still struggling with the foundation tho. I don't believe it is correct. I know what I want the program to do but it isn't exactly working in my favor.

As far as the embellishments; that is mostly me killing time when I get frustrated with an area of the plan I work on something else. I am sure you are talking about the 'yard'. 

garage1_(2).zip

Thank you for sharing your plan. I think you have done well so far. I m sure you have learned much about working with the software. Along the way you have also made many errors due to your lack of self education in and with the software and of home design and construction. You should carefully read your included Users Guide and any relevant sections of the Reference Manual when and where you get into difficulties.

The main problem I have with this plan is not "Walls" but rather this design lacks basic necessary amenities necessary to support daily life: No bathrooms, no Kitchen, no closets, the family room seems to be the only "bedroom". The current design is completely unsustainable for comfortable, safe daily living.

This software is predicated upon Default Settings and other settings, check boxes, input boxes and controls that you use to guide the software to a specific result. It is obvious to me that you have completely bypassed any study and just started creating without the fundamental knowledge and understanding necessary to arrive at a livable result for a Family home. I have been a professional designer and teacher for over thirty years, so I do not say these things to discourage you but to point out as Eric has suggested that you rethink and redo your design from the bottom up AFTER you have spent some time confronting what a home must be and have to make your daily life for you and your family comfortable and safe.

The building of framing is unnecessary especially in the case that you are not a carpenter or builder. In any case one never builds framing until the design is completely finished in terms of spaces and amenities and the ergonomics of daily life have been evaluated and considered. For the untrained person it is merely eye-clutter and not very useful. Structural Concerns are best left to Structural Engineers who are schooled in the dynamics and stresses buildings must contain to be safe and sound. This software is not a substitute for that profession.

When I finish a design I share it with such a person licensed by the State to adjudicate such matters that are key to the Life of any structure including its foundation, rafter size, wall framing, wind bracing etc. 

I do wish you success but also I must point out that your design needs a lot more development, thought and consideration perhaps with the input of your wife and family to make sure it serves you as it should.

DJP

One problem is in the way the software works. Instead of looking at individual parts of a structure, like your problem wall, we need to find out what is causing the problem, and it's likely not the wall itself, but a problem elsewhere in the model.

Because we do not know what your intent is, correcting problems is often difficult.

As an example, none of your rooms are using default ceiling heights. No one but you knows what is correct.

Your stair/stairwell does not work. Problems with the foundation etc.

Look at the fascia height difference on the 2 gable roof planes.

5921a882a9946_Snap1.thumb.jpg.c3c2f1dfd098a652a0cf38b9f90b912e.jpg

We also don't know if you are doing this just for some ideas, and you plan to turn the project over to a professional, or if you are wanting construction documents for permitting.

My first thoughts on your response are why did you take the time to insult my methods instead of simply answering the question that I asked? Instead, you took the time to assume that it is a house, instead of actually looking at the design. You assume that I did not watch the training videos, or have scoured the internet, and the help section. You assume that I have not and do not research each step before I do it and also when I get stuck. You also assume that I am a male? You do know what assume means right?

I asked for help with how to fix a problem that the software was doing. I did not ask to be attacked in my design or steps that I took to get to where I am now. I asked for advice on how to fix the wall that was not being drawn correctly. You still have yet to answer the question that I asked. 

6 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

The main problem I have with this plan is not "Walls" but rather this design lacks basic necessary amenities necessary to support daily life: No bathrooms, no Kitchen, no closets, the family room seems to be the only "bedroom". The current design is completely unsustainable for comfortable, safe daily living.

Seriously?? It is a garage, and the rooms are labeled as being such. And there is a bathroom, it is under the stairs. What purpose is there for a kitchen in a garage? The whole purpose of this build is to provide a place to park our cars out of the weather, a place to work on small projects out of the weather, and an extra room for guests to stay when family takes the 8 hour drive to visit. Some place in the backyard to spend time, and a place for my teenagers to hang out. It is not meant to be a home. Like our family has called it, this is the pool garage. Hell, the file name is garage?

6 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

ou should carefully read your included Users Guide and any relevant sections of the Reference Manual when and where you get into difficulties.

This is the reason why I asked the group. I could not find the answer as to why the walls aren't drawing correctly.So if you don't mind please answer the question I have asked for instead of attacking me and my design.

One more thing those that can't do teach.....

Thank you! For taking the time to help figure out the issue. 

3 minutes ago, solver said:

One problem is in the way the software works. Instead of looking at individual parts of a structure, like your problem wall, we need to find out what is causing the problem, and it's likely not the wall itself, but a problem elsewhere in the model.

That is what I figured but have not been able to find the issue. 

7 minutes ago, solver said:

Because we do not know what your intent is, correcting problems is often difficult.

My plan is to use this software for my documents. We don't have a building code here or an inspector but I do plan to take it to an engeneer to ensure that the design is safe to build. It is signifigantly cheaper to do the leg work on my own then have them examine the plans that I have drawn up and tell me if there needs to be any corrections. 

9 minutes ago, solver said:

As an example, none of your rooms are using default ceiling heights. No one but you knows what is correct.

The reason for changing the defaults is because I am using rough cut lumber straight from the saw mill near me. It is half the price for the lumber that I need instead of getting the lumber from lowes which is where they send it after they are done with it. 

10 minutes ago, solver said:

Your stair/stairwell does not work. Problems with the foundation etc.

Are you looking at the updated file? After I posted the question I continued to work on a lot of the issues that I already knew about. One was the stairs. So that has been fixed. The only issue that I know that remains is the framing which I am having issues with. The back wall wants to use 20' 2x4's near the stairs rather than building two levels and using 9' 2x4's. The foundation I have been struggling with through the whole design and have started over several times because of that. I am doing a mono slab with 24 inch depth and footings under each wall which will be poured before the slab. But for some reason it won't work the way I want it too.. That was a question for another day.

14 minutes ago, solver said:

Look at the fascia height difference on the 2 gable roof planes.

I never even noticed that, thank you!

8 minutes ago, Traumranch said:

The reason for changing the defaults is because I am using rough cut lumber straight from the saw mill near me. It is half the price for the lumber that I need instead of getting the lumber from lowes which is where they send it after they are done with it. 

Defaults are settings that you make. The program has suggested defaults, but should be set to your settings if they differ.

Ceiling heights are an example. Exterior walls are another. You should take the time to define a new wall type where you are using different materials. Then use that wall type when drawing the structure.

Notice how all the settings are at their default?

Snap4.thumb.jpg.4f1b314ef22b2746cf2ea15896774605.jpg

1 hour ago, Traumranch said:

The foundation I have been struggling with through the whole design and have started over several times because of that. I am doing a mono slab with 24 inch depth and footings under each wall which will be poured before the slab. But for some reason it won't work the way I want it too.. That was a question for another day.

You need to look at the model as the sum of its parts, not as individual pieces. 

Snap29.thumb.jpg.b2b203bd044f12be5792acb00a9ba6fb.jpg

I can "fix" one thing, but at the expense of something else.

Snap30.thumb.jpg.703d9fbb57692a6d156f691648747713.jpgSnap3.thumb.jpg.b5e2959cf88af49095fff51e79663e71.jpg

I'd still suggest starting over. Much easier than trying to correct everything.

People tend to try things -- settings, in an attempt to correct problems. These changes often do not get reset and result in even more problems. It's very time consuming and almost impossible to undo all the unintended changes that have been made.

• Upvote 1

you moved the dormer? I am doing as you suggested and I have the foundation the way that i want it! I opened a new plan and set all of the defaults before I ever drew any walls. Now on to the roof. I found an article on how to draw the dormer but it will cut out some of the floor space in the upstairs. I havent started the process to install it yet but moving to that now.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00367/drawing-a-shed-dormer-manually.html

This is the instructions that i followed first when initially drawing the plans. 

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00904/creating-a-bonus-room-above-a-garage.html

Untitled 5.jpg

How did you get the carport area under the balcony to have a slab foundation? when i set mine as slab it still gave it footings? I wonder would it be necessary to have footings. I will on occasion have a car parked inside it?

You know I like that, but I am a very symetrical person and that would drive me crazy having that off centered like that. I doubt it can be extended from side to side to make it centered. The stairs would be in the way would it? 

Snap35.thumb.jpg.9ad77b97675a1f9fd2b0716201707278.jpg

23 minutes ago, Traumranch said:

How did you get the carport area under the balcony to have a slab foundation?

The program does not like this condition. I got it to work, but not sure I could easily duplicate.

With such a simple foundation, you might do parts of it manually.

3 hours ago, Traumranch said:

I am doing a mono slab with 24 inch depth and footings under each wall which will be poured before the slab.

I'm guessing you want 24" stem walls on footings with a slab on top. Also assume you are where it gets cold, or where you need to go down to stable ground?

28 minutes ago, Traumranch said:

I wonder would it be necessary to have footings. I will on occasion have a car parked inside it?

A typical driveway has no footings. Footings are usually found below a stem wall and are designed to spread loads from above out over a greater area.

Did you happen to save this, and interested in sharing it?

3 minutes ago, solver said:

I'm guessing you want 24" stem walls on footings with a slab on top. Also assume you are where it gets cold, or where you need to go down to stable ground?

To be completely honest I have no clue what the frost depth is, and have heard a variety of answers from various sources. 24 was the highest and seemed better sage than sorry. 

Thank you so much for your help. I was wondering how to get the dormer wall to be I guess that is called floating. I really didn't like the half wall sticking out.

4 minutes ago, Traumranch said:

Thank you so much for your help. I was wondering how to get the dormer wall to be I guess that is called floating. I really didn't like the half wall sticking out.

Look up Roof Cuts Wall At Bottom.

You would need Pro 2018 to read my file.

57 minutes ago, solver said:

How about this?

Snap34.thumb.jpg.a5e6d7cff66c00fec0ccae065438bf2e.jpg

Mostly, I wanted see how moving the front wall of the open space on the right back would look. 

The headroom upstairs is limited, and enlarging the dormer would sure help.

Thinking about the structure (framing).

Suggest you visit with your engineer to get sizing on floor joist, and a design for the roof system.

You will need some way of keeping the gable roof from pushing the walls out at the bottom, and whatever the engineer specifies will determine platform thickness (and stairs) and could effect the ceiling height upstairs.

• Upvote 1

First -  open each room specification box and uncheck "floor supplied buy the Foundation room below", uncheck monolithic slab and check floor under this room..

then check the all the defaults for each room....

Next, rename the right side garage to Porch, the outdoor shower to bath and the room next to it slab. Remove the landing that's at the second stairs, it's

not needed. Use a room divider to separate the stairwell from the Garage and rename it to storage etc:.

Do the same for the second floor that was done for the first floor...

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2017 at 2:20 PM, solver said:

You would need Pro 2018 to read my file.

I am having massive amounts of issues with this design. I really like it and don't want to sacrafice the extra room that it provides. I know you said you couldn't share the file, but is there a way that you can tell me how you accomplished the dormer? I can't even get it to draw at all now. I have fixed all the other issues.. I am wanting to say when i originally made the desing i manually drew the dormer roof. Can you tell me how you accomplished this?

Sometimes it easiest/best to start over. You have a simple structure and reproducing it, making things correct as you go is better than trying to fix what you have. After so many changes of settings, trying things etc, it's difficult to get everything set back to the way it needs to be.

Post your plan and I'll look at it in an older version of Pro. You can help me out by making a copy and deleting all the unnecessary items -- furniture, terrain things etc.

I'l' be at a job all day -- will take a look tonight.