Hip Roof / Flat Roof Combo

ddm1969

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to using Home Designer Suite 2015, and am having some trouble matching my existing roof (I have no design, architecture, or engineering background).  The house was built in the 1950s with a hip roof.  In the 1960s, an addition was made with a flat roof.  I've tried countless variations of gable / shed using different walls, but have failed each time.  I've attached images of the current roof and my plan file.  

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

David

Cedar Roof.key.pdf

post-758-0-08688200-1410706535_thumb.png

David.plan

LIke Eric, I mainly use Chief Premier and HD Pro but in Suite you would have to set up the roof commands in each of the wall dialog box - roof tab - pitch input box that define the flat roof area. They would be set to 1/16"x12" or 0" x 12" pitch so the roof generator would then be guilded by those commands and build a "flat" roof.(even a flat roof is not oerfectly flat do it will drain during rain)

The rest of the walls that have hip roofs built over them can be left alone with their settings as to pitch done in the Build Roof Dialog box - Pitch input box.

DJP

Eric and DJP,

Thank you so much for your responses. 

Eric, you're right.  I should have explained my failed results better.  I managed to get a flat roof at the proper level over the Family Room, but couldn't get it over the adjacent Bedroom as well.  When I did get a flat roof over both the Family Room and Bedroom, it was elevated WAY above the desired height.  Your result looks fantastic.

DJP, I am confused by which walls to alter.  There are only two walls that are solely associated with the area I want to make flat.  Other walls are either internal or shared with the hip areas of roof.  Do I need to set up invisible walls or split walls?

Thanks again,

David

I found that when lowering the roof pitch of the addition walls, it played havoc with the rest of the roof.  

Sooo, make the addition separate, as shown. When the roof is correct, lower the finished ceiling height so that the facias match.

THEN turn off auto build roof.  Now you can delete the extra walls and re-raise the ceilings. You CAN NOT rebuild the roof again, or you will change this roof.

post-63-0-42429500-1410719175_thumb.jpg

I tried using standard roof tools and was able to get a very flat hip roof over the family room, but not the bedroom.

I suspect using invisible walls and splitting others will get you close.

I started by turning off roofs for the flat roofed portion.

Are you just looking for a representation of the house, or is it important that it be as accurate as possible?

Thanks Jo_Ann and Eric.

Jo_Ann, I had a feeling that this would come down to creating two separate structures.  Thank you.

Eric, really more a representation of the house, but the more accurate I can be the better.  The whole reason I'm doing this is that I want to remodel certain areas of the house.  I'd love to be able to look at different design options with my wife.  In addition, when meeting with designers / architects / engineers, I'd like to be able to provide "as-is" and "to-be" models / images.  I figure the less work they have to do the better (from a time and cost standpoint).  Maybe I'm wrong.  I'm a new first time homeowner, so I have no experience to draw on.

EDIT:  I should mention that a curb appeal upgrade is important.  Since the roofline plays a role in curb appeal, I am hoping to get it accurate.  Getting the flat area right wouldn't be that big a deal except that it affects the look of the rest of the roof.

Thank you,

David

David,

When you turn off 'auto build roof' and delete the extra walls, you will then REJOIN the existing walls and it will no longer be a seperate structure.

I would do a 'save as' on your plan BEFORE turning off the 'auto build roof'.  You can then do your remodel in the 'saved as' plan (with the separate structure, which will maintain the flat roof).  You can do as many 'save as' remodels that you want.   You wil still have the 'as-is' plan, and the 'to-be' plan to show the contractor.  When you settle on a final remodel, you can turn off the 'auto build roof'  then rejoin walls on that plan, too.

It would be interesting to see what Tech Support has to say about your plan . and if they have a better way than building a second structure , it shouldn't be this difficult....I got the same result as Solver messing around with your plan , fixable in Pro but there should be a better solution.

Mick.

Sounds like someone was having a bad Monday :) sorry to hear that , so it looks like since you have Suite that JoAnn's solution is the best way to go , you could try the Trial of Pro but it may not be worth it for just one house plan....unless you Plan to do your own Construction Documents.

It easily put the 1/4" slope Shed Roof over the Family Rm but for whatever reason no matter the wall settings, I get a weird hip/gable combo over the bedroom , fixable in Pro as it has Manual Roof Tools but once again JoAnn has found a good workaround for lessor titles :)

M.

• 4 months later...

I use pro but and felt I learnt something from Jo-Anns comments.  There are a few people in tech support that are real gems and others I have found to be very condescending as well. Chin up David don't let one rude person stop you from asking questions. They are not Architects but they know this program extremely well.

It is not there fault that the advertising leads us to believe they are there to help. Good luck keep trying you will get it eventually. You can always add a gable just to the front of a flat roof for more street appeal. x

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old post.  I recently upgraded to HD Pro, and am looking at taking another stab at this plan.  

Eric,

The file(s) that you posted previously are no longer attached.  You don't by chance still have the plan file you created, do you?

DJP,

I purchased your roof editing manual.  It was really helpful for me to see the basics in action.

Thank you,

David

Resurrecting an old post.  I recently upgraded to HD Pro, and am looking at taking another stab at this plan.  

Eric,

The file(s) that you posted previously are no longer attached.  You don't by chance still have the plan file you created, do you?

I don't, but do remember this thread. With Pro, this should be easy, or at least easier.  :)

Start a new thread if you would with any questions, as this will now be Pro specific.