New addition

Trying1

Is there a way to show a new addition different from the existing structure by way of color, line weight, or layers? When I change anything in the layer the existing structure gets the same treatment.

I learned this software while designing for a remodeling firm. I have always used two plan files: 1 is the home as it is before remodeling and then 2. As many versions of the proposed remodeling version. the one my clients then pick goes into the final printed plans along with the "As Built" so a permit authority can graphically see what changes are proposed to take place. That is the way I now do it quite successfully. 

I also apply this to custom home design, saving each version until the client is happy with a particular design which is then used to create the printed plans. I found out to my dismay that sometimes a person will say to me "Now that I see this version I think I like the version we worked on last week" so If  I had not saved that version, I have more work to do on what I did save.

DJP