Garage addition help

sataar24

I plan on drawing up and addition to an existing garage.  The addition is basically a 8'x20' extension off the back of the garage.  One 20' wall and one 8' wall are existing structure (house which is 2 story and garage respectively) and the other 20' and 8' walls will be new construction.  The addition roof line (more than likely 6 pitch) needs to be different than the existing garage roof.

How do I create the plan so:

1. I can create the new addition roof that will tie into the side of the 2 story house wall but be independent of the existing garage roof
  2. the existing 2 walls (house and garage) do not get factored into the material list

Thanks in advance.

S

Remembered a few minutes too late: Home Designer Suite 2012 

Thank you for the quick reply.

I had remembered, too late, about adding the software info but it's included now.  Home Designer Suite 2012.

Prior to posting I did search the forums/knowledge base and the tutorial videos (on this site, not YouTube), but did not find information on my request.  Perhaps I searched the incorrect key words.

I've used this software only in new construction applications and was asking prior to starting the new plan in hopes of minimizing rework.  If there are no immediate suggestions I can update this post once i have created the layout. 

24 minutes ago, sataar24 said:

How do I create the plan so:

1. I can create the new addition roof that will tie into the side of the 2 story house wall but be independent of the existing garage roof
  2. the existing 2 walls (house and garage) do not get factored into the material list

Not sure you will be able to do either of these in Suite.

As for a materials list, with a small addition -- 2 walls and a roof, it would be easy enough to do it manually.

The best tool for doing remodeling is Home Designer Pro due to its ability to manually edit and create roof designs and ability to manually edit and create framing members. All other HD titles consider the entire structure to be a "new construct" as opposed to only part of the construct. The materials list is also so programmed to measure the entire construct (not just part of it), so as Eric suggested you can just build the add on by itself (again hard to do with anything but HD Pro as aforementioned) but is possible. What you must understand is that the "Materials List" just like the software in general measures the entire structure. It measures what you did and not necessarily what you intend to do in the field. If your .plan file EXACTLY  mirrors exactly what you will do in the field only then will you get an accurate Materials list and not otherwise. This requires great advanced skill in terms of the .plan file and its creation. I rarely am hired to create such a .plan file because of the additional time and care that is required to create such a discrete construct. It is more a matter of your own personal skill, creativity and intention as opposed to what software you use. The right software just makes the job easier to do but does not determine whether or not such a job can or can't be done.

DJP