Wrong size joists

rfcomm2k

The foundation is 46' left to right x 35. front to back. There are two concrete walls approx.15' from either side to form a partial basement in the middle of the structure. So WHY did HD Pro decide to place long I-Joists front to back instead of spanning the 4 walls left to right, where the max span is about 15' instead of 35'? Is there a place I can tell the software which direction to place these joists?

I am unable to post a file or pict at this time as the CAD PC is not on a network, just in case anyone thinks to ask.

2 hours ago, rfcomm2k said:

So WHY did HD Pro decide to place long I-Joists front to back instead of spanning the 4 walls left to right, where the max span is about 15' instead of 35'?

Software does not "Decide", "Know", "Predict" or advise. It is a mechanical device that depends upon YOUR Guidance to create outcomes. You supply the intelligence and guidance by way  of study of how it designed to work by carefully reading your "Reference Manual" found under "Help". If you do not guide it by way of Default Settings and dialog boxes you merely get what it is preset to do from its makers.

You do have sufficient tools to guide it to precisely what you want, those tools are found under "Default Settings - Categories" (there are default settings for everything in the program: cabinets, foundation, floor, framing, walls, etc" each of these need to be studied to find out where they are and what each is for to create a particular outcome. There is also a "Build" main drop-own area to implement the various actions and subproducts you will want. They are there waiting for you to find them, take a look.

DJP