Difficulty rotating the building to the x-y grid....

Robborito

I have been struggling to get my model to rotate, about the centre of a selected group....I have ticked the preferences - behaviours- object centre, then selected my entire plan with the 'select objects' arrow - then I have picked -edit- edit behaviours - rotate/resize about  centre point - but then when I try to rotate the selection - 5 degrees to match the x-y grid - all that happens is the selection group de-selects.....So what am I doing wrong.

I have searched the 'user guide - reading page 192 and 193....on rotating objects.

Still cant get this model to align to the grid.

DO NOT WANT  -Tools -rotate plan view - as this rotates the grid with the plan.

Just want to align my model now with the terrain and all to the x-y grid.

Please, can anyone offer some experienced advice.

Thanks in advance.

Plan image attached.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 2.59.43 pm.png

When you start a new plan the walls should be drawn in alignment with the provided grid lines. There is NO prosurvival reason to ever EVER rotate the structure, not ever! To do this is to invite unnecessary trouble, dismay and difficulty. It is designed and constructed to follow  in the main the provided default grid lines in the "X" and "Y" axis. If you are doing a site plan you simply rotate the site plan to a proper relation with the existing structure and adjust the magnetic "North Pointer" to this orientation as well. You should NEVER rotate the structure off default angles! If the structure has some some non-ninety degree or zero degree walls that is to be expected keeping those to a minimum, the majority of walls need to be set to ninety and zero degrees.

Like you early in my Chief/Home Designer career I too "struggled" to the point where I adopted the above as being true. You are welcome to blaze that trail again if you wish, just keep your agony to yourself please, you have been warned.

DJP

OK Thanks David - I note you have made that exclaimation in other earlier posts that I have found - numerous times. 

I only found these after searching the forum history post my forum entry.

However, my building needs to be aligned with x-y grid which is apparently what the program needs to function correctly. This I was advised by the CA support to resolve some conflicting wall intersections in the 3D views.

Nothing too much of a drama, just trying to align things correctly, as it should be.

Rotating  the terrain is not an answer as it's not what is trying to be resolved here.

It's  the rotation relative to the x-y grid - see the plan.

If these odd angles of some walls are defined in the snap angles (other than the 7.5 and 15degree defaults.) and aligned accordingly with these  then I have been told that this is the correct procedure. (By CA)

Its the mechanics of rotation about a centre point of a selected group that I need explained.

I have no personal need to return with agonising replys.

Thankyou.

What I would do is to open a wall that is intended to be 90 or zero degrees, open its dialog to see what its present angle is relative to plumb. That data will then give you by how much you need to rotate the plan back to plumb on screen. Once you have that rotation value you use "Edit Area All floors" to select your structure, then while it is selected in that tool mode you select from the "Edit Toolbar" the "Transform-Replicate" tool and with that tool's dialog you select "Rotate" as the applied attribute and enter the rotate value in degrees either positive for clockwise rotation or  a negative value using a minus sign before the rotate value and then click "OK" to effect the rotation change. If you mess up all you need do is to use the "Undo" command (Ctrl-Z) to start over. If you have not used the "Transform-Replicate" tool before I recommend that you FIRST carefully read a description of its uses in your "Reference Manual" and then practice on a simple test plan before inflicting its use on your plan that you have time invested in. Let me know how it goes.

DJP

Thank-you David - That instruction all worked perfectly for me. No problems at all.

Transform/Replicate Object appears only (from what I can find) as an icon - bottom left corner of screen.

Not under the edit dropdown menu. In my HDPro.

Your input is the 'HDPro/CA Logic' that can only come from years of using the software.

Not by reading the reference Manual. (Which btw,  I have open every time I edit.)

I was heading towards creating an ArchitecturalBlock of everything and rotating that - then exploding it back again.

So many Thanks for your time/ input.

6 hours ago, Robborito said:

Not by reading the reference Manual. (Which btw,  I have open every time I edit.)

I helped write the Reference Manual back in 2005. I still open it when I get stumped, that is why I recommend doing so. It works when nothing else does. Reading it is more reliable even than calling Tech Support. I call Tech Support as a last resort when I have exhausted the usual Help sources. I do not offer advice based on any other reason than I know what works and what does not only. I have learned many things here and at Chief Talk from others as well.

DJP

I can agree that the reference manual is well written.

My only comment is that linking steps similar to those you offered to me to solve my situation is difficult to make work thru simple reference manual application. You need a starting point, and a good one in that.

If I had perceviered at the level i was at before I asked the question that I asked the forum, I would still be floundering about with possibly very little gain or advancement.

Thank goodness for the user forum as a venue for these shortcuts and explanations.

Regards.