Exterior Material Showing Incorrectly

iatoolman

I am using green siding throughout the house, with brown shingles at the gable ends.  Some gable ends are displaying properly.  The latest one I created cannot do so.  The exterior surfaces are clearly designed with the brown shingles.  In fact, you can see the lower one showing through on the 3D view.  The elevation shows the lower one correct in B&W, but is clearly wrong in color.  The upper one shows siding and seemingly cannot be changed to anything else.  I don't think this is a video card issue because the rendering 2d should be correct no matter what.  *Full disclosure* My laptop died, so I moved this file to a old desktop with a new video card.

It is only this section, the recently modified section, that doesn't work.  All the other parts are fine.  See the third image for a correct gable end.  What gives?post-747-0-88849600-1410491134_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-68807400-1410491137_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-41747600-1410491140_thumb.jpg

it looks like what is called z-fighting in the 3rd pic , it is where two materials are trying to occupy the same space ,some videocards handle it better than others so make sure you are on recent drivers, however in the 3rd pic it appears you chimney isn't cutting out the roof so perhaps it has something to do with that. The bright shiny roof is unusual so that maybe a videocard issue toar the roof above looks fine....? 

you don't say what year/version you have so I am unsure if you can cut the roof plane back around the stone chimney or not to let it extend thru the roof as a rectangle , it appears only one sided at least in the 3rd pic.

M.

An easy way to visually eliminate "Z" fighting is to set the "sheathing" layer of your roof planes to the same material as the roof surface. This makes your materials list inaccurate but fully eliminates the sheathing showing through your surface material assignment (shingles).

Something else you should check is under "Properties" for the shingles you are using to make sure they are set to "matte" as opposed to "reflective" or "polished" in terms of how they handle light refraction in rendered views.

DJP

I still can't get it to work.  I understand the idea of Z-fighting, but I don't understand why.  I have upper walls and lower walls that use different materials.  It isn't like I am layering one material on top of another; I have specified different siding materials for different walls.  It seems to me that the fact that the walls are aligned in the same plane should be irrelevant.  I don't know how the rendering or programming is done, but one material starts, stops at a definite line, and another one starts at that same line.  I don't see how one would mask the other.

The Z-fighting is still an issue, but something else is as well.  The gable ends are set as their own wall, full gable wall on the second or third story.  The regular wall is not set to gable and is one the first or second story.  When I change the exterior materials, both walls change together.  How do I separate the walls from the gable end wall?  I want different materials and colors on a wall versus the gable end but HD is forcing the changes together, as one plane.

post-747-0-04154600-1411088985_thumb.jpg

you are in Vector view and apparently have Glass set to Opaque in the 3D Settings Menu/DBX , this is the default to make the 3D View "faster" but if your Computer has a good videocard etc no reason to have it set to Opaque, I think it is a per plan setting and needs setting for each Plan drawn....

post your plan...