Existing Conditions Versus New on a Remodel

Stormwater627

I purchased the HD Suite to design a significant remodel of my home. I was hoping to set up a base plan of the existing conditions of walls and finishes and then use the HD program to redraw walls and finishes and be able to view the changes on a single set of plans. I can't find any way of tracking the demo of existing and add of new walls?

Is this program really only useful for "new construction" when calculating quantities and costs?

5 hours ago, Stormwater627 said:

Is this program really only useful for "new construction" when calculating quantities and costs?

I first started using an early version of this software in 1994 called 3D Home Architect (now made by others). I worked for the largest remodeling firm in Central Texas. All we did is remodel projects. The procedure I developed and is wide use today is to make a relationally correct plan file calling it "As Built" which represents the starting point before any changes are made. I think make a copy of that file and name the copy Remodel-Version One and use that copy to make potential changes which I can view and evaluate as I make them. So when I go to make scaled-printed plans I can display the "as built" and on other pages the remodel plan that I settle upon and it is easy for other building professionals to compare the existing to the proposed to see clearly what exists and what is to be changed. Yes the software application addresses changes to a particular .plan file that each instance is "New" because any software is not "smart" or "Intelligent", rather it is a mechanical device that helps you to be intelligent about your choices and planning. You supply the intelligence and purpose, it is merely a servomechanism to your own mind and nothing more.

DJP