GPS .gpx file import questions....

P15-D24

I'm using HD Suite 2016 on OS X, GPS is a Garmin GPS76Cx, and exporting the .gps files from Garmin Basecamp in gpx.1.1 format.  (Basecamp is Garmin's management tool.)

I trying to start a new landscape project and because our yard is on a grade I wanted to use the GPS to capture location and elevation info for my landscape plan. 

For this test I create 5 way points and exported them into individual .gpx files. I created a default landscape template since I can't import files without a template open. 

First, is their a way to import multiple .gpx files at once? It will only allow me to select an individual file, (CTRL, CMD or Shift select doesn't work)

The import gave me an entry outside my template. If I select and import a second file, it places it directly top of the previous one.  (Imported as a Elevation point)

I also tried exporting all 5 waypoints into a single .gpx file and when imported they were all on top each other.  

I did watch the video on import but they don't do the step by step for GPS, just text files. How is this suppose to work?

2 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

I can't import files without a template open. 

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do (I am not sure what you mean by Terrain Template).

2 hours ago, P15-D24 said:

First, is their a way to import multiple .gpx files at once

NO

First of all, I have been using Chief and Home Designer titles since 1994 and I have never successfully imported any GPS data to create a modulated terrain plane. What I did run into is that such data can be so complex in nature that the resultant 3D object (terrain plane) is too complex for anything but a super computer to display in camera views (it is composed of too many 3D faces- Terrain is displayed as 3D triangle faces, that is what I am calling a 3D face). 

How I do terrain from GPS or a topographical map is to import the graphic terrain map as a .dxf file (usually from a surveyor or Architect done in AutoCAD) or an image file showing terrain elevation lines and splines after scaling it in the software. I NEVER USE POINTS because they create too many 3D faces (see above) and are hard to locate and edit after the fact (they are points and so are very tiny visually).

I have watched the same video you have and the example they use is a lot simpler that what you will find in a surveyors topo map.

You can of course ignore my advice above and do what you want to do; it is not my purpose to stop you or to advise against what you may believe. I use this software to make a living and for many years. I just need something that my PC can handle so I can get my work done in a timely fashion.

DJP

Hello P15-D24,

Yes, you are correct in assuming that you need a plan file to import the terrain into.

But you only need an existing terrain perimeter to see the data, if you don't have any track points.

If you have Track points, in your file, then you want to import those as 'Terrain Perimeter'. These would normally outline a path, so be sure they outline the perimeter of your lot.

Waypoints should be imported as 'Elevation Data'. These define the actual elevation of a specific point.

Once these are imported into the plan, move your terrain perimeter to encompass them,(if you didn't use any track points) and your 3D view should update with the new information.

On 4/24/2017 at 5:34 AM, KirkClemons said:

Hello P15-D24,

Yes, you are correct in assuming that you need a plan file to import the terrain into.

But you only need an existing terrain perimeter to see the data, if you don't have any track points.

If you have Track points, in your file, then you want to import those as 'Terrain Perimeter'. These would normally outline a path, so be sure they outline the perimeter of your lot. Waypoints should be imported as 'Elevation Data'. These define the actual elevation of a specific point.

Once these are imported into the plan, move your terrain perimeter to encompass them,(if you didn't use any track points) and your 3D view should update with the new information.

Got the import working finally and now trying to figure out the best methodology to build the model. I imported a track around the property lines as the terrain perimeter plan. But as a terrain perimeter is doesn't have any elevation data. I tried re-importing the perimeter track as elevation data overlaying it on the terrain perimeter. It appears to work when viewed in 3D (need check some of the data points) but is that the best way to start? 

Second how do I add in the elevation data inside the terrain perimeter? Do I have to do multiple waypoints and import them as elevation data? Does it automatically position in the existing terrain perimeter or do I have to manually try to locate it correctly? (I would have a lot of waypoints to import due to the terrain variations ;-( )  

Can I run another, non closed loop track to pick up the elevation data and just import it?  (Again will it be positioned correctly in the plan?)

Lastly, how can I set the "bottom " of my elevations, my yard ranges from 140' to 110' above sea level. When I view in 3D I have a really thick 3d image, so I want it to just calculate the 140'-110' range, less 100' (Range would be 10' to 40' in the 3D model)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• 3 weeks later...

The program does not automatically position the terrain perimeter.

And yes, as I mentioned before, you must place waypoints and import them as elevation data if you want elevation data from the GPX file.

Otherwise, if you have imported the terrain perimeter you can manually place elevation data using the methods you learned about in our online training resources:

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/videos/watch/2264/terrain-elevation-data.html?playlist=200