Placing 3d people in Home Designer 2015

rv4life

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find 3d people to place in my plan?  I am modeling a hotel I hope to open in real life that caters to families.  I am trying to find babies, toddlers adults, and kids.  I would also like to find adults holding children, playing with them, etc.  If I can find professional looking hotel staff, that would be great too.  I have tried  searching on 3d Warehouse and a few other sites and have not found anything.

Thank you for your time!

Shane

• Upvote 1

Hi Shane,

There is a 3D modeling software called Poser that will create/export OBJ files which may then be imported into HDPro.  Poser is used, primarily, to pose and animate human shaped 3D models.  A quick Google search should result in a wealth of information about the software and user community.  I used it many years ago when in its early incarnations, but haven't since, so I can't attest to its modern performance.

That said, there are some caveats.  My experience with OBJ models exported from Poser (or downloaded from the internet in general) is that their mesh's normal mapping (i.e., information that tells rendering software which side of the triangulation mesh has the texture applied) is usually flawed by having some polygons reversed, resulting in apparent "holes" in the model; the mesh is there, its just that you can't see reversed polygons because from the backside they're invisible whereas from the front you see the texture.  There are, of course, paid and free OBJ object (re)mapping tools to correct such errors ... but with all that said, this might be a much larger educational journey than you're prepared to embark.

You could also search for 3DS files of people, usually generated in another popular 3D modeling program called 3DStudio or 3DStudioMax ... or others very similar to it that also output in the 3DS standard file structure.

Again, another caveat ... most models of humans tend to have very high polygon counts which results in poor performance when imported into Home Designer titles.  If you can find lower polygon count models, you'll be better off ... but even then, only import the absolute minimum and only for a specific render view.

Good luck. :)

• Upvote 1

I prefer 2D images for people as fully 3D life forms either look ugly (angular and unreal) or if very well done have so many 3D faces (facets) that their presence overwhelms most PC's ability to render them (that is why I prefer 2D images, they look better and do not stress my PC's rendering hardware).

DJP

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hi Shane,

There is a 3D modeling software called Poser that will create/export OBJ files which may then be imported into HDPro.  Poser is used, primarily, to pose and animate human shaped 3D models.  A quick Google search should result in a wealth of information about the software and user community.  I used it many years ago when in its early incarnations, but haven't since, so I can't attest to its modern performance.

That said, there are some caveats.  My experience with OBJ models exported from Poser (or downloaded from the internet in general) is that their mesh's normal mapping (i.e., information that tells rendering software which side of the triangulation mesh has the texture applied) is usually flawed by having some polygons reversed, resulting in apparent "holes" in the model; the mesh is there, its just that you can't see reversed polygons because from the backside they're invisible whereas from the front you see the texture.  There are, of course, paid and free OBJ object (re)mapping tools to correct such errors ... but with all that said, this might be a much larger educational journey than you're prepared to embark.

You could also search for 3DS files of people, usually generated in another popular 3D modeling program called 3DStudio or 3DStudioMax ... or others very similar to it that also output in the 3DS standard file structure.

Again, another caveat ... most models of humans tend to have very high polygon counts which results in poor performance when imported into Home Designer titles.  If you can find lower polygon count models, you'll be better off ... but even then, only import the absolute minimum and only for a specific render view.

Thank you for the information!  I am trying to download things from the 3DStudio site but it downloads the files with a .7z extension that will not open with anything.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

I prefer 2D images for people as fully 3D life forms either look ugly (angular and unreal) or if very well done have so many 3D faces (facets) that their presence overwhelms most PC's ability to render them (that is why I prefer 2D images, they look better and do not stress my PC's rendering hardware).

DJP

Thank you for the feedback!

Thank you for the information!  I am trying to download things from the 3DStudio site but it downloads the files with a .7z extension that will not open with anything.  Any suggestions?  Thank you!

The .7z extension originates from a file compression tool called 7-zip.  Other file compression tools may also support the .7z compression standard.