Architectural 2018 Roofing issues when upgrading plans from 2017

briancaos

It's wonderful that Architectural 2018 have addressed the issues with performance that 2017 had.

But it seems that 2018 also handles roofing differently.

Attached is a .zip file containing a funkis house. The house was started in Architectural 2017 and the plan works fine here.

But when opened in 2018, most of the roof is missing.

It seems to be an issue where 2 walls across each other cannot be of type "High Shed/Gable wall"

Is this a bug in the new version, or is there a solution to the issue?

Funkis_3.zip

2017.jpg

2018.jpg

Brian, when opened in 2018, I noticed the 2 soffits in the Master Bedroom closet were now above the ceiling.  One of the new features as I understand it in 2018 is the ability to have different heights in rooms without resorting to soffits. 

Short Ceilings for Rooms within Larger Rooms. Create plant shelves, shorter closets, or other rooms that have a lower ceiling than the greater space and control the ceiling platform and materials automatically.

Anyway, I used the dialog box for each soffit to bring it below ceiling height, and checked the interior view and did not see a problem.  I then just extended the still existing roof plane over main house, and then the side plane.  I then used the break line tool in roof planes to "cut out" the corner above the master bath.  

Whoops, left an unneeded attic wall.  Removed it.   

58fb7c8a25d85_Funkis32018.thumb.jpg.bceadae6e93aacdc7023afec3001b7bf.jpg

Funkis_3_2018.zip

Edited by swarren
Not enough coffee.
  • Upvote 1

Jo_Ann, you are correct.  Sorry.  I stand by not enough coffee.  

I have found some official sample plans have weird anomalies, such as soffits (or what I THINK are soffits) where you can't remove them, but they are there.  I do believe the underlying video display software is vastly different from 2017 to 2018.  

• Upvote 1

Jo_Ann and briancaos, I think I remember now why I went from Architectural 2014 to Pro 2015.  :)  Having two high shed walls on opposite ends of a building does not make a lot of sense to me for a single roof plane.  But that is indeed the case with the Funkis plan.  And it works for 2017 but not 2018.

I followed Jo_Anns suggestion to remove the high shed gable wall from the bath, and just let auto rebuild do the rest.  Since I am using Pro 2018, that's about as close as I am going to get to Architectural 2018.  The second story roof amazingly is fixed but the side 1st floor roof is now two planes (at least with Pro 2018). I tried removing the high shed gable from the living room too and things went really bad.  Perhaps this is just another difference between Pro and Architectural.  Kudo's to Jo_Ann for finding the high shed gable walls in the first place.  

I am glad this is just a hobby for me!  

Funkis 2017 roof lines.JPG

Jo_ann Funkis 2018.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi Swarren and Jo_Ann,

Swarren, your first solution does indeed fix the issue, but unfortunately the file is read-only for me, as I only have Home Designer Architectural 2018.

Jo_Ann, unchecking the "high shed/gable" wall at the north wall does bring up the roof again, but this time in 2 planes. This was the issue that I solved in 2017 by having both ajacent walls as "high shed" walls.

I guess there is a bug in Home Designer Architectural 2018 as I have other plans where the roof is messed when using "high shed" walls.

Thank you for your time, it is very appreciated.

2 plane roof.jpg