Raising a ceiling and auto roof freaking out

robertbar

Using home designer pro 2017.  How come whenever I raise any interior room ceiling by just a foot the whole auto roof freaks out and creates big gaps with holes in it?  I framed houses for years and I know it can be done because I use to do it physically on site framing and the rafters have plenty of room without interference.

6 hours ago, robertbar said:

How come whenever I raise any interior room ceiling by just a foot the whole auto roof freaks out and creates big gaps with holes in it?

The ceiling height settings when raised and when Auto Rebuild roofs is "on" you get a roof rebuild based upon the new ceiling height settings-Automatically.

The correct procedure is to get your roofs looking correct. When you get what you want then turn off "Auto Rebuild Roofs" in the "Build Roof Dialog". Once that "feature" is turned off  you can then raise or lower ceiling heights in individual room specification dialogs - Structure Tab - Ceiling Heights without it then auto-rebuilding the roof system.

This is not a "bug" rather it is just learning what to do and when to do it to get a particular result using the software. It is programmed to work in a particular fashion, it is your job as a learner to find out how that is and then work with it as it is to gain your purposes. It is you who need to be knowledgable, the software just follows your orders so any outcome is your responsibility and not the software's.

DJP

OMG!  David thank you big time!  I can't believe it was that simple and your suggestion worked!  This has been so frustrating. I may just hire you on a consultant basis to help me with some of the quirks.  Can you do a online meeting?  How much per hour?  Let me know.  Thanks.

On 4/19/2017 at 5:25 PM, robertbar said:

OMG!  David thank you big time!  I can't believe it was that simple and your suggestion worked!  This has been so frustrating. I may just hire you on a consultant basis to help me with some of the quirks.  Can you do a online meeting?  How much per hour?  Let me know.  Thanks.

Sure, just contact me via e mail so we can agree on a appointment time. I am available for on line Help Sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays from 10 AM to 7 PM CDT weekly.

DJP