Unwanted Exterior casing in a DOORWAY

Acropolis

You could use the "Doorway Tool" and then turn off the casing to obtain a doorway that is not cased or you can use an interior door and the via its dialog turn off casing and threshold to obtain a wall opening that is not cased. This is not a "Bug" because this has been so programmed this way since I started using this software in 1995. What the dialog is telling you is that on an interior doorway or door there is no "Exterior Casing" rather just "Casing".

DJP

Simply put, use exterior casing is greyed out BECAUSE it's an interior doorway.  You need to turn off (uncheck)  the INTERIOR casing if you wish no casing at all.  HD PRO 18 handles this the same way Pro 17 does.

I do not believe you at least in terms of proof, I checked this out in Pro 2017. Architectural 2017, Suite 2017 etc and it is EXACTLY as SWarren and I have said it is. Perhaps we are not actually speaking of the same thing. If you were to post a copy of your plan and or a screen shot of what you are seeing then we could come to some form of actual understanding. Words can be deceptive whereas image or .plan evidence can be more clearly understood and evaluated by all concerned.

DJP

First thing is to change the idea that I am wrong, maybe the word choice is different but this is an Interior door - here is a screen shot, and to eliminate the first excuse, when I take a screen shot from MAC OS, this s/w is grayed out whereas when you are in the APP, the live choice would be blue.

The picture shows no interior casing, and it is NEVER possible ANYWHERE to de select the exterior casing, and that means in default setting for interior doors, or any where else.

ext casing.png

Acropolis, you posted a picture of the specification for a hinged doorway, not a doorway.  They are different in that the hinged doorway has a door.  You really need to spend some time learning the software AND the terms used. A doorway has no door, it's just an opening between two rooms or even interior to exterior.  In fact, if you would turn off the interior casing display, grab the remaining door in the specification and spin it you could see both sides.  The casing will be GONE on both sides BECAUSE it's an interior door.   Edit: By default, the interior side of the door will face the direction that the door swings to open. If you prefer, you can specify that the interior side face the opposite direction in the Door Specification dialog.   However, in a doorway, again there is no door.  In that instance, the 3d preview in the specification dialog concerning interior vs exterior eludes me still.  But it's really not important if the idea is to remove the casing from both sides.   

If you can't accept that a greyed out choice only means it's not relevant in the current context, then I think you are out of luck.  There is no fix as none is needed.  

Post a plan.  Perhaps there is a problem, and semantics is hard.   You CAN deselect exterior casing on an exterior door but only on an exterior door.

I just saw DavidJPotter's  video in which he goes over these very items in a very easy to understand manner in response to another of your questions.  

interior doorway - NO DOOR.JPG

Doorways.plan

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2017 at 11:48 AM, Acropolis said:

First thing is to change the idea that I am wrong, maybe the word choice is different but this is an Interior door - here is a screen shot, and to eliminate the first excuse, when I take a screen shot from MAC OS, this s/w is grayed out whereas when you are in the APP, the live choice would be blue.

The picture shows no interior casing, and it is NEVER possible ANYWHERE to de select the exterior casing, and that means in default setting for interior doors, or any where else.

ext casing.png

I may be misreading your question/problem, sorry if this is not what you are after.

You can select/change each side of the doors material and trim regardless of the Interior Door type (doorway, hinged, pocket etc).

To do this go to "Interior Door Specification - General".  You need to tick the check box next to "Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side".  You should now be able to independently change the Interior/Exterior Casing details.

Interior Door Specification.JPG

Interior Door Specification 2.JPG

On 4/17/2017 at 7:59 AM, Acropolis said:

How on earth can HD PRO 17 have a exterior casing - grayed out - for an "INTERIOR DOORWAY"???

It seems to me that the programming or perhaps language used of an interior door the idea is that both its sides are Interior (it does not have an exterior side because it is an interior door). That is the point I wished to make and I believe it is the same one pointed out by swarren. What do you consider it should say or not say? and why?

DJP

Chiliwi, I see what you did there.   "..Tick the check box next to "Separate Trim and Materials on Each Side".  You should now be able to independently change the Interior/Exterior Casing details".   Doing that will "ungreyout" the exterior checkbox on an interior doorway.  I still don't know how the software determines which side of an interior doorway is the interior and which the exterior.  Maybe it should be "InteriorA" and "InteriorB"?  I think this is just a reuse of code for both interior doors and exterior doors.  Thanks for pointing out the ability to easily have one side cased and one not.

Unfortunately Acropolis never posted a plan.   I  could not determine if he meant doorway (opening only, no door) or a actual hinged door, and what exactly the problem was.   My experience has been if a doorway is uncased, it's uncased on both sides.  But that's just my experience.

Good call.

swarren, I agree with your comment "...I still don't know how the software determines which side of an interior doorway is the interior and which the exterior.  Maybe it should be "InteriorA" and "InteriorB"?  I think this is just a reuse of code for both interior doors and exterior doors."

In most circumstances an interior door has both sides the same (cased or not cased).  On the rare occasion where I have a doorway that only has one side cased there is no way of determining how the software decides which side of an interior door is the 'Interior / Exterior' - I just have to try and hope I pick the right side :D.

• 1 month later...

Plan posted, the suggestion to separate the interior and exterior did not work. There is probably more than one, but the obvious on is what separate living from dining.

So to answer  - there are too many instances that are locked out, the software is twisted, you have to go left to go right. It is inflexible to accommodate other building structural forms around the world, and as such is limited to the stick built houses of USA. So the larger issue is that I find traces of inaccurate materials, hence the need to spend hours figuring why stuff in material is there that should not be.

A real problem if one  is to have confidence in the materials calculation.

the bottom line on a door way is NOTHING should be there of any type of trim.

There are other errors in materials calculations.  When I have time we can post these - the biggest thing the materials list doesn't do is allow you to go back by clicking the element to find out where the questionable entity is coming from.

interoir_door_proof_for_bolu.plan