Printing a scale view showing roof

RichardG

Hi,

I've produced a plan which has my house, outbuildings and the terrain. I now wish to print a scale view of the whole plot to give to a landscaper but I don't want to show any internals of the buildings. The normal print option does the scale correctly and uses vector output so large drawings are possible however, it only works from the 1st floor view and this shows internal details I don't wish to share. 

I've tried using the full 3d camera and then set the view direction to top, then going to technical illustration. This gives the correct type of view but it's still has some 3d aspects, it's not to scale and is an image so low resolution.

The only work around I can think of is to use the CAD tools to draw a temporary roof on but I'm hoping I'm missing something? 

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Richard

Use the full overview camera and then under the "3D" menu select "Top View". You might first want to turn off (uncheck) any layers that you do not wish to print (You can leave the existing roof plane layers "on". Depending upon the target paper size you pick will determine how scaled the printed drawing is.

DJP

Thanks. I've tried that but you can only print as an image which doesn't allow a print to scale i.e. 1:200 or similar. The view is also still 3d so you can see the sides of the buildings on the edge of the plan.

The only way I can see to print to a specific say 1:200 scale is by using the File/Print... option which only seems to work when viewing the floor plan. 

Richard

You control visibility of objects via Layer Display Options.

You may turn off the display of the interior objects, leaving exterior walls and roof.

43 minutes ago, RichardG said:

Thanks. I've tried that

Tried what?

Tell us specifically what is not showing that needs to, or what is that you don't want to show.

You could simply copy your plan and delete unwanted items.

Sorry, I'll try again...

I want to print a true to scale plan of say 1:200. This option is only available on the File/Print menu not the File/Print Image menu. This means that no 3D views can be used as they are images and can't be printed to an exact scale and I do need a drawing that measurements can be scaled from.

In the scale printed view I would prefer to just show the roof or plan view of the house and not the internal structure. I don't believe this is possible but wanted to confirm that I wasn't missing something?

The options I have.

1. Use the option from Solver, to turn off the display of all features I don't wish to show. This still shows internal walls, etc. but looks like the best option at the moment.

2. Use the option from David to use top view option whilst in full 3d camera view and select technical drawing. This is the view I want but I can't print it to an exact scale and the plan is still in 3d so some sides of buildings are shown at the edge of the plan (I presume this is due to the lens focal length so may be tweaked?)

3. Add a 4th level and use the CAD tools to manually draw a plan view of the roof.

Thanks

Richard

I have thought about this some more. The main difficulty are the inabilities inherent in Architectural but this does not mean you cannot do what you need done (This is easier to do in HD Pro or Chief Premier, I have done what you want done many times in those applications). You may just have to compromise a little:

You can turn off all non contributive visual layers and objects using "Display Options" dialog for plan view. Roof planes can be turned on in plan view but not given an opaque fill per roof plane as in Pro or Premier. Printing that to scale will require some trial and error using the "File - Print - Show Sheet" tool  and the "File - Print - Sheet set up tool". Features that you are probably not familiar with. I would recommend that you search "Help" for "Print to scale" before you waste a lot of time guessing what to do in terms of dialogs and steps.

DJP