Support Posts

Graymor

When I create a rail-less deck on the ground floor, and a railed deck above that on the 2nd floor, the posts for the second floor deck will not show. If I delete the ground floor deck, the posts show. How can I get them to stay showing (pass through the ground floor deck to support footings) with the ground floor deck in place?

Any thoughts?

You are correct. I used CA many, many years ago, and just bought the new version last night. I am using the 2018 Home Suite, and trying to get a feel for it by recreating my existing home as-is. I will go in and create a terrain model now, based upon your comments, and the fact that I just finished watching the video on walk-out basements, which I have.

My Terrain comment was not directed at you. I copy and paste that entire block when I see a new user, and forgot to delete it and make a proper comment on your question.

Suite is limited when it comes to being able to automatically do this.

Its been discussed before, and a forum search will likely turn up some useful info.

You could make your own post from soffits as I've shown here, or from a Solid Shape found in the Library.

Snap21.thumb.jpg.0a0702ca2777d4761a3698ec69a47bb9.jpg

i was going to try that, but could not find anywhere in the menu's where I could add my own posts. Columns, yes, but no posts... Making my own posts would be fine, as my posts for my upper deck aren't where a plan model would "automatically" put them.

Is the "architecture" version better at decks? Or just a flaw of CA in general?

All the Chief Architect products have issues with this -- not just decks one above the other, but rooms over porches, decks over rooms etc.

Home Designer Pro allows you to modify program generated framing and create your own framing members as needed.

Pro also lets you create a railing with posts and a beam.

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of Architectural.

You could get the trial for Architectural and try it.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Have been reading these posts and use Pro 2018. I also am trying to build a deck over a deck and supports are not generating correctly at all. I am fairly new to this. Above, Solver says

Home Designer Pro allows you to modify program generated framing and create your own framing members as needed

..... Any clues/tips/tricks help on doing this? Its two basic decks. 40'X6' 8". Nothing fancy on terrain etc. Below is image of my file.

Capture.PNG

Edited by RRBRUCE
Forgot Some Info

No Solver, I didnt miss it. And whether you believe me or not I was actually able to find those pleasantly generic and unspecific help menus/videos all by my little ol self, it was a proud moment.

You seem to have the same attitude that Chief Architect has had since I first worked with them in 1996. Have you been there the whole time?

1 hour ago, RRBRUCE said:

No Solver, I didnt miss it. And whether you believe me or not I was actually able to find those pleasantly generic and unspecific help menus/videos all by my little ol self, it was a proud moment.

You seem to have the same attitude that Chief Architect has had since I first worked with them in 1996. Have you been there the whole time?

Me thinks you are the one with the "attitude" and chip on your shoulder. Eric is all about  "Help" as are most of us here.

If by "attitude" you mean one should be personally responsible for their successes or failures, then I agree.

DJP