Creating a gable roof over one room of the house

DesignsbyAndrea

I am trying to build a gable roof over one room of my homes design.  I have an open living room without a ceiling and then an attached kitchen with the ceiling on it.  I don't know how to build a gable roof over a room with one exterior wall and one interior wall. I attached a picture and I need the room that is showing without a ceiling to be a gable ceiling roof and the others with ceilings.  I've searched how to's and and I'm not finding what I need.  I'm a new user, please help.  

Screenshot_3.png

On 4/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, solver said:

Roof structures do not necessarily reflect the ceilings below.

See if these articles help.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/search/?q=cathedral&default_tab=support

Here's my problem, I need the one room only to have a gable roof.  I created a roof over the house and it doesn't put a gable roof (cathedral ceiling) only over that one room, but the whole house.  

Screenshot_4.png

1 hour ago, DesignsbyAndrea said:

Here's my problem, I need the one room only to have a gable roof.  I created a roof over the house and it doesn't put a gable roof (cathedral ceiling) only over that one room, but the whole house.  

Screenshot_4.png

This is the room I'm trying to create.....

20170301_181459064_iOS.jpg

20170301_181535383_iOS.jpg

19 minutes ago, DesignsbyAndrea said:

Nothing changed on the roof line when I did that.

The program uses the concept of a Room. You control the ceiling above each room by changing settings in the Room Specification dialog.

If you want a cathedral ceiling in a specific area, that area needs to be defined as a room.

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

I already have it defined as a room.  If I don't have a roof drawn, I can draw a roof over that room but then it messes up because I'm putting the roof on an exterior wall and and interior wall.  I guess I need to figure out how to draw a gable roof over one room but have another roof over the whole home.  I don't know what the whole homes roof lines look like, just that one room.  Should I have a roof generated over the whole house then some how create a cathedral in a gable style over that one room?  That's what I'm having trouble doing. 

Screenshot_5.png

Are you only concerned with the interior of the house? You need a roof over that single room to create the cathedral?

18 minutes ago, DesignsbyAndrea said:

draw a roof over that room but then it messes up because I'm putting the roof on an exterior wall and and interior wall.

What "messes up"?

What's wrong with what you have? 

23 minutes ago, DesignsbyAndrea said:

Screenshot_5.png

Yes I am mainly concerned with the interior of this room.  I am wanting to draw this room an apply beams for a concept design for a client.  I want to learn to do it correctly.  The way it is now the roof line is protruding through the ceiling in the hallway next to it and there is only a roof over that one room.  When I try and shorten the roof it leaves a gap and I'm not sure how to fix that.  

The "correct" way is to model the roof as it is, but in this case, that's not needed.

All you need to do is create a roof structure that provides room for the cathedral ceiling below.

In the Build Roof Dialog, enter a value in the field indicated. 6" is plenty. This tells the program to raise the roof structure an extra amount, keeping it out of your way. This has no effect on ceiling heights, only the roof.

Also make sure the roof pitch is higher than the ceiling pitch. Your ceiling looks like a 3 or 4 pitch, so make sure the roof is greater, like 6 or 8.

Snap4.thumb.jpg.ab2722f88b027faf8ce7f37bfcda9542.jpg

Make The 3 walls shown Full Gable. Build the roof. 

Snap3.jpg

In the Build Roof dialog, change the roof pitch to match your ceiling pitch, and draw in 2 ceiling planes. I made 2 videos, but did not change the pitch before drawing the ceiling planes, so the videos show how to do it manually.

Next draw in your own ceiling planes.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbffbj68Gp

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbffbl68m1