Stairs push roof up directly above them and creates open air views; any suggestions?

IAmScott

Hi, I created stairs in my home model and the portion that goes up to the second floor has created an odd third story "room" directly above it when viewed from outside using Perpective Full Overview.  Also, when viewing inside the home using Floor Camera on the second floor, the stairs and roof above it completely disappear (although the stairs are fully visible when viewed from the first floor).  I have been messing with the Structure settings but have not been able to get this mystery room to go away so there is just a regular continuous roof above the stairs such as exists above every other room.  Pictures provided below.  Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thank you for any guidance.

58e08036dbbb6_HomeDesignerArchitectural2015areaabovestairs.thumb.jpg.cb5b26c1df73df8dfdc53347f5f44513.jpg

58e0803579cb5_HomeDesignerArchitectural20151ststoryviewofopenstairs.thumb.jpg.d5d14cfc7f8d8a0392421f62377815f1.jpg

58e0803643d0c_HomeDesignerArchitectural20152ndstoryviewofopenstairs.thumb.jpg.b0e3b0a458fd4ccacc0dff1d7e1b42e6.jpg

It appears to me that you images you posted were created using the "Floor Camera" tool which excludes anything above or below the floor on which the camera view was created (it is programmed to work exactly like that). What you should use is a "Full Camera" which includes all floors and surfaces that can be viewed from a particular camera viewpoint. Nothing "wrong" you just used the wrong camera tool.

DJP

Thank you, Eric.  I updated my signature and checked the online Stairs creation info (even re-did my stairs from scratch), but the problem persists.  I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I have 12 foot ceilings on the first floor and this allowed me to extend part of a closet on the 2nd floor to be located directly above the lowest part of the stairs (protruding into its normal stairwell area, since there was so much headroom with the 12 foot ceiling)?  Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you.

I don't get the raised area over the stairs.

Do suggest you set your default ceiling height for the 2nd floor and then Edit>Reset to Defaults to get everything reset.

You will need to raise the office ceiling manually to get the roof up even with the higher part.

Thanks, Eric.  Interesting that you don't see it on your computer but it definitely exists on mine (per the screenshot in original post).  I just re-confirmed that it is still there.  I found Edit > Default Settings... and made updates to the intended default heights.  But there was not an Edit>Reset to Defaults (and it wasn't available in the Help feature).  Can you clarify where the Reset to Defaults can be found?

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, IAmScott said:

But there was not an Edit>Reset to Defaults

May be Pro only then.

I looked a bit more at you plan this morning, but got busy with other things and never posted.

Go to the Attic level and use the Delete Current Floor command to delete it -- it will automatically rebuild itself. The program is bad about building automatic walls in the attic that cause problems later.

You don't need a room above the garage, unless you do need a room over the garage. On the 2nd floor, delete the garage walls. The ones that are needed will immediately rebuild.

I changed the back wall above the garage, and around the side, to match the rest of the exterior walls and the roof built cleanly. I may have fiddled with roof settings on some of the garage walls.

Snap19.thumb.jpg.01beed679c06a253567596a496e0da10.jpg

You're terrain perimeter is set to over 1100"?     With that you will have raise your floor heights for the 1st floor and the ceiling heights for the 2nd floor

Go to edit>default settings>floor and raise to 144",  for the second floor raise to 108". The roof for the office needs the bottom wall set to full gable and

the left bathroom wall set high shed/gable wall.  You  may need to download a trial version HD software.

58e1b5817513a_homedesign.thumb.png.474954bd44007d4c83df3be5a0413647.pngHome_design_V2_05p5-1.plan

Hi, everyone (and especially Eric and LawB10).  Thank you for your inputs and ideas.

I experimented, and the issue appeared to be that the Open Below room type/space on the second floor (which forms the space above the stairs) had different Structure settings for ceiling height.  When I adjusted the ceiling height to match all the other ceiling heights of the other rooms on the second level, the strange popup shaft disappeared and the roof re-aligned to where it should be.

Some quick fixes for your plan:

Delete 2nd floor walls for the garage, (as Eric suggested)  and reset the the garage roof directives on the 1st floor walls of the garage.

On the 2nd floor:
East side wall, entire wall needs to be  'full gable'.
Change the south yellow walls to exterior walls.
Open 'room below' dbx and set the 'finished ceiling' to 119 1/8, and check the box 'ceiling over this room'.
Raise office 'finished ceiling' to 122 1/4.   You can reset this ceiling back to the default value after you turn off 'auto rebuild roof'.
Open the dbx for the terrain perimeter and put a check in the box for 'hide terrain intersected by building'.