How does one draw this dormer roof?

rfcomm2k

Two questions related to the attached sketch.

First, how do I model the dormer as seen? The red dotted lines represent the interior walls. So far I tried by drawing first floor, then added second floor with 0" walls, then drew the interior second floor walls and changed the room heights to 97 1/8. Then changed the end wall of the dormer to a full gable wall. I ended up with a fairly normal looking dormer roof, but the 0" high wall was seen across the entire roof of the first floor. I grabbed the edit points on this 0" wall and dropped it to below the first floor roof, but I am not sure this is the correct way to do it. And is there a proper way to make the roof planes stretch across like they do, or is this another "grab the edit point and drag" answer?

Second question, how do I model that window? I have tried changing the window shape, but then lose the dividers.

alaska house.jpg

2 hours ago, rfcomm2k said:

Second question, how do I model that window? I have tried changing the window shape, but then lose the dividers.

See https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/13201-muntins-mulled-arched-top-windows/ 

Some info I posted in Suggestions on ChiefTalk.

I used a feature in Chief, Custom Mutins, to fix the problem., that you don't have in pro.

First, how do I model the dormer as seen?

but the 0" high wall was seen across the entire roof of the first floor. I grabbed the edit points on this 0" wall and dropped it to below the first floor roof, but I am not sure this is the correct way to do it. And is there a proper way to make the roof planes stretch across like they do

I don't understand this. You should use a 1-1/2" rough ceiling height instead of a 0". 

What roof planes, and what stretch?

Images of your model would help.

Snap78.thumb.jpg.7c139c26bad712d400536eb6ade50cfd.jpgSnap77.thumb.jpg.eda05bdc50c4d91a26e6f179e21daa83.jpg

Good tutorial David, but I am having trouble relating it to the drawing I attached. Yours works on the premise that I am changing the end walls to dutch gable, but I am looking to do this on the front and back walls. End walls remain as a normal gable.

Eric, I tried this and it looked promising. I broke the front and rear walls in 2 places each 15' 3" in from the ends. I selected the middle section of each wall and checked the box for Full Gable. I then built the roof at 12/12 pitch. That looked good except that the 2nd floor wall continued thru the first floor roof at the eave, and the 1 1/2" walls of the second floor poked thru the roof. But I continued and drew in the second floor walls, paying attention to the orientation of the wall layers. I then selected each room and specified the room type and the ceiling rough height.

Attached is what I ended up with, and it is not what I am looking for. The 2nd floor walls are exactly where I want them, and the roof pitch is correct for the main roof. I will probably need to change the pitch for the "dormer" roofs so that the ridges all line up, but I first need to get that wall correct.

I wish I could just edit the wall shapes to the way I want them and then have the roof auto build.

My first post shows a pict of what I am striving for.

dormer test 1.plan

Set all your 2nd floor interior walls to No Room Definition. 

Set the ceiling back to 1-1/2".

Widen the gable wall until the roof looks like you want.

Turn off Auto Rebuild Roof.

Raise the ceiling.

Uncheck No Room Definition on the interior 2nd floor walls. 

• Upvote 1