How To Extend Floor Planes Beyond Exterior Walls

ValinHawK

Hello,

I'm new to Home Designer Pro (HDP) and this is my first posting.  I'm working on a home design for myself (owner/builder) and am using SketchUp for some of the work and using Home Designer Pro as well.  I find the need to use SketchUp because I have direct, easy control over what I'm trying to create where I spend much of my time with Home Designer Pro trying to figure out how to get it to do what I need -- but, then once incorporated I have all the nice features HDP provides.

My home design is toward modern and has overhanging roof and floor planes.  The main level is supported by a basement with walls three feet inside of the main level's walls.  See the sketch of the design concept below, with no windows added yet.

I would appreciate advice on how best to create the extended floor planes.  It would be best if they show up as part of the floor joist/truss system since that's how it will be built and so that HDP can provide material estimates that includes these floor joist extensions beyond the exterior walls.  Suggestions...?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Valin

Sedona House Concept A14N With Walls -- Valin Thorn March 2017.jpg

Thank you Solver -- that makes sense!  Appreciate your quick reply.

I should say all the videos and other training resources are fantastic and I use them regularly. Yes, HDP2016  is not really modern home design friendly, yet.  Lots of things to like about the application, though.  Everyone that's helped create, maintain, and improve it over the years should be very proud.  Quite an accomplishment.

Any suggestions on how to create the tower design element at the entrance...?

Thanks again!

Valin

2 hours ago, ValinHawK said:

Any suggestions on how to create the tower design element at the entrance...?

It depends on how you will use your model. If you are wanting construction documents that show framing details, one way, if just to create a 3D representation, another.