shed dormer side wall error

rfcomm2k

So, I start with first floor box. Then add second floor with short ceiling? Then draw in the "dormer room" and raise that to proper ceiling height?

OK, I tried this. Made first floor with full gable ends, then second floor but did not derive it from first floor. I then manually drew in the rear wall and a partial middle wall. The rest of the middle wall I drew as a railing, since it overlooks the great room on the first floor. I then completed the room (I thought) by drawing in the front wall as an exterior wall.

I went to build the roof so I could add the floating dormers but I could not get the roof to draw.

Obviously either I missed something or else I am doing this all wrong.

Essentially what I want is almost exactly what I attached in my original post, except that the right side wall of the shed dormer (as viewed from the rear of the house) should be aligned with the right side wall of the lower floor, just as you represented in your second reply. EXCEPT, in your drawing you eliminated the first floor eave under the shed dormer, and I still want that eave to be there.

As stated, exactly like my attached drawing except for the side wall alignment.

Post #5 & #7 are confusing.  It would be easier to understand (I think) if you referred to your walls as  north/south,  east/west.

Anyway, is this what you want?

You don't need to draw any new walls (except maybe an attic wall).  The walls are already there.

You need to pull back the west side of the large north roof plane, and the walls pop up.

After that, you only need to draw a new roof plane for the "dormer", (set at the right pitch and height, of course).

rfcomm2k roof.JPG

OK Jo_Ann, I will try that. I always make my drawings with North at the top, so my attached drawing has the north as the back wall. With that in mind then I will assume your reference to the west wall of the large north roof plane is the one on the left side of the drawing.

But, do I delete the existing attempt at a shed dormer first?