Dormer Questions

BBCfan

I am trying to place shed dormers on the plan.

I can get two placed over the garage. One on front, one one back. At that point things look good.

Then when I go to place a shed dormer on the back wall along the hall way leading to the bath / bedroom area, it caused my first two to go haywire. 

Basically by the time I add a third dormer anywhere it causes the previous ones to abort / self destruct. 

I have the knee walls placed and marked, the space behind them marked as attic space. 

Should I explode the first two once placed? 

1) Move main roof planes up one level.

2) Right click on a dormer and select Explode Dormer.

3) Place a skylight at the corner of the dormer. Open it and uncheck Skylight. Resize it to make a hole in the roof for your dormer walls to come through. Adjust as needed.

37 minutes ago, solver said:

2) Right click on a dormer and select Explode Dormer.

3) Place a skylight at the corner of the dormer. Open it and uncheck Skylight. Resize it to make a hole in the roof for your dormer walls to come through. Adjust as needed.

When I get it all looking like it will work, I will do what you say. I have to be sure when I explode them they are going to be symmetrical back to back & tall enough to utilize.

In the mean time I assume where the wall height says 60" that is for the 3 walls of the dormer? I'm still learning using the cross section tools, so before I commit to a height, I like to measure it as if I was standing on the floor. 

Solver Question Picture.JPG

1 hour ago, BBCfan said:
6 hours ago, solver said:

How is this done? I may have screwed it up, as I exploded both dormers already. 

Right click on a roof plane, choose Display On Floor Above.

This gets all your roof planes on one level making it easier to see how they relate.