Steeple

ChrisF

I got it thanks for the help.

The soffit command worked.  But it was not as easy as I had hopped.  I there a good video I could watch to better understand how to use them in these unique situations?

Thanks again.

Front.jpg

Front-2.jpg

25 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

The soffit command worked.  But it was not as easy as I had hopped.

Soffits are a real general purpose shape. What part of using them did you find "not as easy as I had hopped."?

I don't know of any videos, but will try to give you some general pointers.

I guess I will use the cross as an example.

I built it in three pieces.

1) The main vertical member

2) The left side

3) The right side.

Now the biggest  issue was the alignment.  I had to move around trying to place 2 & 3 where I wanted them.

Is there a way to snap the faces together?

You can create Architectural Blocks, which combine multiple parts into one.

In this image is a cross made from 2 soffits, one for the vertical, one for the horizontal. I selected them both, and made them into an Architectural Block. I can now move these as one.

Snap7.thumb.jpg.8582e818a5882f8567feaf0d069db510.jpg

I would have assembled the steeple on the ground from various parts, blocked them together, moved the assembly directly under its location, then used Transform/Replicate to raise it into position.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jo_Ann said:

???  Why on earth would you use 3 pieces when only 2 pieces (horizontal & vertical) are needed???

Sounds like you need to do some studying.

Jo_Ann,  Why?  What is the point of that post?

For your information the very large 3D modeling program I use for my day job.  Does not allow me to cross two members like that.  SO my mind defaulted to that fact and I would need to built them as separate sides.  (Sense 3 pieces is how the cross would be built in real life)  This was my first attempt at using soffits.

I am trying to learn Home Designer on my own.  With help for this forum as I need it. Sorry, I am not fully up to date on all of its abilities.

Thank you for your earlier post it helped me in understanding how you were able to build it.