Roof Return MIA

BBCfan

1 hour ago, Jo_Ann said:

The plan has serious issues with ceiling heights.

Fixing that wall doesn't resolve the issue.

I'm just learning, so any other information is appreciated. I'm not above just wiping out the second story & starting over. 

Bite the bullet and delete the 2nd floor.

Open EVERY room on floor 1 (except the garage) and check the default ceiling height box.

NOW build the 2nd floor and set ceiling to 0" / no ceiling over this room.  Set the 2nd floor end walls as 'gable', and 'full roof return'.

You can now use the auto dormer tool to build a dormer.  When this dormer is set correctly (ceiling height, roof pitch, window), copy/paste for the other dormers.

If the roof is correct, turn OFF auto build roof.  You can now build the interior walls, railing, and open below room, and raise your ceilings. 

Don't ever accidentally rebuild the roof.

P.S.  You might find it difficult to get into that bath tub that is in the bathroom between the 2 bedrooms!   :lol:

BBCfan roof.JPG

BBCfan roof 2.JPG

2 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Open EVERY room on floor 1 (except the garage) and check the default ceiling height box.

After correctly setting floor 1 defaults, you could also use Edit>Reset to Defaults. This will apply the default settings throughout.

2 hours ago, BBCfan said:

Next question is  on the bottom is says Floor structure 12 5/8th.

Should I be changing that dimension to something closer to 14'' to simulate a truss heel?

The first floor, floor structure does not matter much, unless you have a basement, and even then, the basement floor just moves up or down a bit.

The program references from the first floor, floor (subfloor or finished floor). 

The second floor, floor structure is more important, mostly because of the stairs, which will obviously change.

You will also need an idea of how the roof will be built, how much insulation etc.

28 minutes ago, BBCfan said:

Looking at using Raycore sips for the walls & roof. 

I'm familiar with their product, although I have never used them.

The disadvantage, and why I would not choose them for a project of mine, is the problem of thermal bridging. They are essentially a prebuilt wall with high quality cavity insulation. I'd want an additional layer of foam on the outside, and they still need sheathing.

I'd want to look closely at the total cost of their package, vs a conventional SIP and standard, well insulated construction.

37 minutes ago, BBCfan said:

Crawl Space, no basements allowed here.

How about a slab?