Cannot change direction of texture on imported Sketchup files

Cinders

I have created a soffit style shape and imported it into my house design successfully. However, when I try and paint it with a texture, I am unable to change the direction of that texture. For example, wood grain will only run along the soffit and not down it. I have tried the trick of assigning the default material first, and then realigning the texture before repainting my object, but that makes no difference at all. Any ideas?

The common remedy for this is to take the existing material (that is running the "wrong" way) and open that material in "Plan Materials", select that material, the "copy" (make a copy of the material - it will by default be named "Copy of xx-material name" at which time you can edit the copied material and turn it however you need it to go it is "Define Material Dialog Box - pattern and texture tabs". Each material is defined commonly as a "vector pattern" (for black and white line plus color views) and a 'texture" for "Standard Render" views.

The above description works in Home Designer Pro and in Chief Architect Premier but if you are using something other than that you choices may be a little more limited or cumbersome. What software are you using?

DJP

I am using HD Pro 2015. I tried your suggestion but that did not work either. I then tried applying a totally fresh material from the Core Catalogue with a downwards pattern and that did work. I am beginning to think that the problem lies with my original material which has already been copied into the User Catalogue, and altered for use in my design, although I cannot see why?

Update... I can paint my soffit with either a vertical or a horizontal texture from the Core Catalogue successfully but any subsequent changes to the direction of the texture on the soffit will not work. I have also tried drawing the soffit (in Sketch Up) on the vertical axis as opposed to the horizontal axis bit still no joy.

Are you referring to the Texture or the Pattern ? .........things may appear different in Standard view vs vector view  

but in the Material Definition DBX you can change the angle on either the Pattern or Texture Tab or probably both to match.

Some Pics of whatever it is might help ?

or post your "soffit" and let others "play with it"

M.

I have been changing the angle of both pattern and texture in the definitions box but using just the standard render to check the outcome. On checking the vector view, the pattern has actually changed direction, but the texture refuses to do so in the standard view.

post-698-0-01088100-1409733671_thumb.jpg

post-698-0-51803100-1409733681_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick...it's the fascia and soffit above the window and just below the roof line. In standard view, the planking runs horizontally and in the vector view it runs vertically. No matter what I do and in which order, I cannot get the planking to run vertically in the standard view.

post a copy of your plan and I open it with the Trail version and have a look  ,I cant see soffit in your pics but now see the Fascia issue.

so you are trying to apply the Siding to the Soffit and the fascia as well ?   or is it just chance they look similar?

and which is the correct orientation?

M.

Hi Mike,

My file size is too large to upload and the Sketchup file is not permitted apparently. Perhaps you know if I can copy and paste a small section of my plan onto a separate file to bring the file size down?

Both the soffit and Fascia behave in the same manner in that I am unable to paint them with a vertical texture. I am using the Core Catalogue 'Cedar Tongue and Groove' and the default orientation of this is horizontal. I can change that orientation to vertical quite successfully for the walls (as seen in the thumbnail) but it will not change for the soffit or fascia in the standard render view. I would like the textures to all run vertically.

files that aren't "allowed" can be posted if you zip them  1st as zips are allowed , there is a 10mb limit per post though.

no you cant downsize a plan without deleting things , you could make a copy of the plan and then delete unimportant stuff until the file is less than 10mb if needed.

However now I know what you are trying  that makes it easier , the issue I think is you are trying to "Paint a material" rather than apply a material to the item in question, it is always better to assign a new material than Paint something , I generally only "paint" as a quick fix m this way the materials list is more accurate too if you use it....

Open the library , go to Cedar T&G ,right click and choose copy  

go down to the User catalogue , open it and right click choose Paste

select the new Cedar T&G and choose rename , add Vertical to end of name >ok

select the new Cedar T&G Vert and Open it , on the Pattern and texture tab change angle to 90°  >ok and close.

In your Wall Definitions DBX change the Wall siding to the new Cedar T&G Vertical in the User Catalogue

Open the Build Roof DBX and on the material tab change the Soffit to the new Cedar T&G Vertical and do the same for Fascia

check boxed (flat) eave if that's what you want ? on the options tab and rebuild the roof.

Strangely I found my Gutter had changed to the Cedar T&G too so had to go back in and assign a colour to my gutter in the Roof DBX again.

If you want the soffit boards to run lengthwise along the building use the normal cedar T&G material not the Vertical one

Hopefully didn't miss a step .... let me know how it goes...

soffit short way

post-25-0-10981900-1409963337_thumb.jpg

soffit lengthwise

post-25-0-34915600-1409963356_thumb.jpg

Yes Mike, that works but only if my roof had a fascia and soffit using the HD roof options. However, my build needs a bespoke fascia and soffit which I have created using Sketch Up 2014. When I import these files into HD I just cannot seem to get the surfaces to accept a material with a change of orientation of texture from the default given in the Core Catalogue. The vector view will reflect the change of direction, but the standard view does not whether I apply the texture by assigning or painting. I have tried changing the orientation of the original Sketch Up drawing, (ie having the fascia and soffit standing on its end) but that makes no difference either.

By zipping the files they will now attach and I have reduced the plan to show just two of the walls of my build.

Bedroom End Fascia.zip

Bedroom Return Fascia.zip

Section of Plan.plan

I am uncertain what you mean by Bespoke fascia and Soffit or why you are not using the HD Roof options as from what I see in your plan, it looks like a simple 100mm deep flat soffit ( HD calls it a Boxed eave...on options tab).

However check the box for Global Mapping on the texture tab and it should work ....

your scale for the texture is 100x100 , if you want it to look like the Siding it will need to be 900x900

I also noticed the return fascia is 160mm high the front is 143 mm is that correct?

Not sure if the 2 pieces of soffit are the same  cos the global mapping fixes the issue in standard view except the soffit on the front remains running lengthwise whereas the side return is correct. so you may need to use the side return .skp fascia for the front too so the soffit runs correctly...

M.

post-25-0-50592700-1410055280_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

I was not able to load my entire house but briefly it is an 'as now' plan before changes are to be made. Yes, the return fascia is sloped as you noticed; the roof is a shed roof and the fascias and soffits vary around the building, hence the need for imported bespoke shapes.

I have tried checking the Global Mapping in my plan (the one box I had ignored as I believed it was for an entirely different purpose) and it certainly seems that was the key to solving most of the problem, although I can see what you mean about the soffit on the front. The soffit at the other end of the house has the same problem but those running the length of the house are just fine. This is a minor problem as the soffits are virtually hidden from view...it was the fascias I needed to render correctly. I note your comment on the scale of the texture which I had already been tweaking.

Thank you so much for your help.

You have Pro so are able to set different roof overhangs on every wall if you want to via each  Wall's DBX  on the Roof Tab so I am not sure why you need to make Custom (bespoke) Soffits but probably something I am missing/don't understand which is easy to do with email/forums.....

Sorry I can't elaborate on why the Global setting worked , not sure myself.... all it is supposed to do is reset the origin to 0,0.

The Siding size is 900x900 in your plan which is why I suggested that for the fascia/soffit but you may want it different from the siding?

As Built / Existing drawings always seem to be the hardest to get done, there always seems to be stuff us Builders can do that HD can't  :)

M.

I certainly didn't know that I could set different roof overhangs on each wall so will look into that.

Your understanding of the global setting was the same as mine, but then re-creating existing buildings does seem to push software such as HD to limits the programmers could never have imagined!

In the Build Roof DBX  set the Roof overhang to the average/usual overhang and HD normally sets sloped soffits so check boxed eave on the Options tab too and once the Roof is build , then open each wall's DBX and on the roof Tab change the overhang as needed for that wall only,

I believe this is a Pro feature ? perhaps HD Architectural has it too ?

M.

• 1 year later...