Cost Estimating

Javid2017

I renovate/update homes and resale - some refer to it as Flipping. I am currently using Home Designer Pro 2017. Does anyone have a cost estimating software they would recommend that will work with the auto generated materials list?

I have 20 plus years in commercial construction management. However, we all know commercial remodeling is vastly different than residential remodeling cost. If there isn't one that will work with Home Designer Pro, what software would you recommend? It would be beneficial if it auto-generated reports and schedules, etc.

I haven't done cost estimating since back in the 1990's for remodeling. One of the first things my boss asked me to do was to check out Chief Architect's "Materials List" tool to see if it would help us estimate materials costs. Which it did and does do but what I found out is that the "Materials List" tool just measures what is in your plan file and it also measures how you constructed your plan file, so it also measures how competent you are in perfectly emulating your virtual model with how it will be constructed in the field. So with that limiter and disclaimer it is a place to start.

I do know several Chief Architect Premier users who use Chief Premier for estimating BUT they use the Chief Architect plan file model to gain raw data which they then input into professional grade cost estimating program designed for that specific purpose. I am sorry but it has been several years and I do not remember the name of the software used. If you were to post this question at the Chief Architect Premier Users Forum (Chief Talk) you would probably be able to get more specific answers than here.

DJP

• Upvote 1