Roof design issues over kitchen / in courtyard

Avocado

Porch area and slab / no slab / footing : Since the last update, correcting the walls where the framing was exposed, I was able to add a 2nd floor above the wine cellar and closet - no problems - worked the 1st time!  I also added a porch along the south facing kitchen which helps the look on this side. Have been using the sun/shadows tools to see how it affects the sun coming into the house throughout the year. 

My 1st issue....I have 3 porches on the S and SW sides. I plan on doing pavers in all these areas as well as connect these porches together with a walkway. 

On the kitchen side - I can show just a footing but when I try the same settings for the other porches - it does not show up this way. I spent an hour trying to get this right but can't seem to hit the right combination.. I also have seen what looks like a baseboard along the edge as well as framing along the bottom???

2nd - I think I have the roof correct now - but I tried to modify the roof and then build roof again checking off (retaining edited roofs) and I ended up with a new roof over top the old roof. Is there another way around this ?

DeLuz_3.3.plan

1 hour ago, Avocado said:

I can show just a footing

You would typically have a post with a footing, not a wall with a footing.

Consider using a Room Divider to define the porch area, and the Post With Footing tool for your posts.

I use a custom Room Divider. 1 (main) layer with the material set to Opening No Material, and a thickness of 1/512. The program will display the thickness as 0, which is OK.

Use a Slab, or one of the terrain features to give you something to paint your pavers on for the 3D views.

Also, turn on Auto Rebuild Foundation. You will see some additional problems.

I ended up with a new roof over top the old roof. Is there another way around this ?

That's the way the program works.

And How I might do the porch roof.

Snap76.jpg

OK - I think I made the correct changes. Eliminated the railing (to create the porch) and used the room divider tools to create the outdoor "space". Used the Framing tools to create a post w/footing as well as a beam. I did the porch roof but with the 2 x 6 rafters sitting on top of the beam, the lower part of the beam was under 8'. ( I was using a 8 x 14 beam with 8x8 posts for some visual substance to the structure.)

I fixed an out of alignment wall so that error has gone away. I rebuilt the foundation and I think it looks right now. I notice that checking this box in defaults is only good 1 time since it reverts right back to be unselected with no warning. Am I on the right path (?), if so I will do this for the posts and beams in the courtyard as well.

Again, thanks for the help!

DeLuz_3.5.1.plan

36 minutes ago, Avocado said:

Am I on the right path (?)

Sounds like it.

47 minutes ago, Avocado said:

I notice that checking this box in defaults is only good 1 time since it reverts right back to be unselected with no warning.

This should stay checked, unless you do something that causes the program to turn it off, and then, the program will ask.

Forgot to say also, check for wall marked Foundation Wall. None of your walls need this. You can easily select all walls and uncheck for all. Click the Wall tool, then while holding shift, marquee around the plan.

Do you have the Lintel panel in Wall and Door dialogs? You might be able to use it instead of manually placing something over each to simulate a beam.

Tuesday  update:  I thought I was finished with the roof yesterday....unitl I noticed 2 major issues - somehow during the learning process, I changed the ceiling height to 9' which for the entry hall with 8' doors ( plus beams in the ceiling) doesn't work. Also, at one point using a railing  outside the MBR, the cathedral ceiling was no longer centered. Amazingly, I think I have it figured out. Please take a a look and let me know if it looks right. 

My next step will be the garage and walls/entry to courtyard.

For the garage entry between the doors, the walls are going to be 12" thick - should I create 2 walls, 1 exterior , 1 interior ?

Also on the courtyard, if my wall is say 16" thick, 2 exterior walls? On this, I would it deep enough so I can put 2 piece clay tile with a ridge cap along the top.

DeLuz_3.6.2_10'_ceiling.plan

17 hours ago, Avocado said:

For the garage entry between the doors, the walls are going to be 12" thick - should I create 2 walls, 1 exterior , 1 interior ?

With Pro, you could define a new thick wall that acts like 2 parallel walls. Your main layer would be 2x4, air gap, 2x4. 

This is the best way to do this if the wall will have doors or windows.

For the ceilings, where you have cathedral ceilings, consider drawing in your own ceiling plane. In the master bedroom, you are looking at the underside of the roof plane, so there is a odd angle above the door.

Tuesday update - I am getting closer to understanding the program a bit more. Was able to do update the garages and work the roofs manually - still slow but getting better at it. On the lintels, I updated all these - you can select the lintel option and extension past the window width but the extension does not appear unless you deselect recessed window into wall under windows / options.H ad some trouble creating a hole in the roof using the skylight option - There is a gap right along the ridgeline of the roof and my walls got messed up a bit. I'll go back to it later. Right now I just picked a fireplace out of the library and used the soffit tool to create a chase. The one thing I cannot figure out is the courtyard flooring - it creates a slab floor as part of the overall slab of the house. Under room spec // structure - I deselected what I thought might work - "floor under this room", "floor supplied by foundation below" and " monolithic slab foundation" but to no avail.

What am I missing ?

DeLuz_3_14.Garages_2B.plan

Actually, to clarify a bit - I was going to do this just like the back patios - create a slab - edit it to size and then apply pavers as a material.

In the courtyard - I am going with pavers under the loggia, a "sidewalk of pavers to the entrance and than dirt /plants. Also around the fireplace as well

So you want to show the ground, and will fill in where the pavers will go.

The courtyard is a room because it's surrounded by walls. If you set one of the walls either side of the courtyard entrance to No Room Definition, the courtyard looses its room definition, so no floor to deal with.

I originally created the courtyard by enclosing this area so then I used the room spec. to define the height of my walls. Now when I  set a wall to "No Room Definition", my wall height changed. And the slab is still there - double clicking this area you can see the "defined" space highlighted is larger than the courtyard now.

Rebuild your foundation. It's a good idea to keep Auto Rebuild Foundation on.

Use Half Walls for the courtyard walls.

Snap7.thumb.jpg.a58940e8a5a4b64046e38f33e7b25fd8.jpg

Skylights (roof holes) cannot span multiple roof planes. Just pull back a section on each side.

Snap8.thumb.jpg.4a2a3ba684aea07864948d8da60c944f.jpg

Have you considered using interior lintels too? I changed the arched openings either side of the larger arch, and changed that arch to a broken arch.

Also added some fake windows flanking the fireplace, shown with closed shutters to give some interest to a large blank wall.

Nothing wrong with what you have, just a different take on things.

Snap8.jpg

Snap9.thumb.jpg.87340d30adf2a5544abbea390f40fcdb.jpg

Eric,

Thanks... I definitely appreciate your comments! Yes, I like the interior lintel idea. I'll be working on the interior this week (my wife is going to give me "suggestions" for the kitchen next. That shutter idea is really good - don't know if you noticed but since I had such a tall ceiling, I added an attic space behind the fireplace wall (10x20) with access from attic stairs in the closet. ( still need to add that if available in the library)  I am going to have wood ceilings and beams in this room as well as MBr. I'll uses the soffit tool to create the beams and call out wood for the ceiling material. 

I made half walls to create the courtyard and selected "No Room Definition" which got rid of and floor in this space. When I tried to add a couple arched niches in the wall using the door tool, it made a complete vertical cut into the height of the wall. The cut was the width of the door I called out. (16"). Not sure what my options are there...

When I tried to add a couple arched niches in the wall using the door tool, it made a complete vertical cut into the height of the wall. The cut was the width of the door I called out. (16"). Not sure what my options are there...

I copied the existing window (door), redrew the wall using the Half Wall tool, then Paste Hold Position, and the window (door) looks OK.

Just tried adding a door, and it does what you say. Half walls don't like doors in them. I was thinking there was a workaround, but cannot remember.

Your other option is to use normal walls, select them and drag the top down.

Here is another option for the courtyard walls using standard (not half) walls.

Use a Ceiling Plane for the cap. Ceiling planes will stop a wall, so using a thick ceiling plane as your cap will control the wall height. I changed the thickness to 3" and the material to brick.

Set the pitch to 0.

Snap11.thumb.jpg.17d010f759694c40b2d20b6200597f85.jpg

And changing your exterior wall definition to this will clean up the corners.

Snap12.thumb.jpg.919ab00320550c7737758130bf14716c.jpg

And one just for fun

Snap13.thumb.jpg.74ba471a2f60e6bf96149a4c4b4a5d4d.jpg

Thanks, I will try that. Also, I was looking at the family room earlier and see that 2 of the walls ( behind the fireplace and the wall to the hallway) have a step in them (in the rendering view) The step on the fireplace wall has a step at 9' (that apparently matches the room height behind the room (closet and wine cellar). And the wall between the room and the hall has a step at 10' (which matches the hall height. Why does this occur and how can I adjust for this ?