Walls Along Stairs

solver

The proximity of walls to the stair object will often bring about the condition you show in your image. You can try what Mick (Kbird1) suggested but if you keep having that unwanted result I would make the offending walls "invisible" and use a custom slab, reshaped soffit or reshaped cabinet to emulate the non-workable walls.

A lot of functionality is pre-programmed into the software and sometimes that programming is not appropriate for all instances or situations (like now) and so you just do what you must to get the results you need and then move on.

3-D modeling is more about appearances than "virtual actualities" anyway.

DJP

try turning the railing off all together ...and let full height walls build as normal , then in a elevation view see if you can drag the wall down to the correct height manually.  you may need to break the wall where you want the height change to occur as they will probably auto-joing the existing full height walls and become "one".

M.

There is a "Follow Stairs" check box, but it seems to be grayed out by default which is why I missed it (image 1). Follow Stairs shows checked in the image, but only because I had already checked it. It would not be checked if starting from scratch.

The "Specify Railing" check box is checked, but if you uncheck it, then check it, the entire "Build From" area, including the "Follow Stairs" check box becomes available (image 2).

You can then check it, and the wall, or railing will follow the slope of the stairs.

Notice in image 3, how the lower part of the wall follows up one way (after breaking the wall), and the upper part follows in the opposite direction. I created the center wall on the first floor, and the "Follow Stairs" option caused it to extend into the 2nd floor space.

-- Eric