Center four windows

447Debbie

What's the trick to centering these four windows on this wall?  Just for the sake of simplicity, let's assume the number needed for spacing is 25", that's probably not exact, but it's close.  If I change one, it sets to 25".  Then I change another to 25" and my first one moves.  Is there an order of operations that must be followed?  

junk.jpg

27 minutes ago, 447Debbie said:

Is there an order of operations that must be followed?  

Yes there is.

You can use dimensions -- automatic or drawn for this task, or temporary dimensions.

You could draw a CAD line at the center of the wall, pulling dimensions from it.

447Debbie 1.jpg

The only way I can figure to this is to drag the windows and in those cases, I don't have a fine enough resolution to get it down to 1/16 of an inch.  It would be nice to type in the wall section's width, and then tell the program to freeze it so that it doesn't change when I go to the next section of the wall and change it.  For me, typing in the length is more precise that trying to drag it.

I use CAD lines frequently for alignment and positioning. For example, to position something on one floor, in reference to something on another floor.

Place 2 CAD lines (one on x axis, one on Y) and center them on the referenced item. Copy the CAD lines, go to other floor, Paste Hold Position. Place your object and center using the CAD lines.

Here is a video showing the use of CAD lines to position the windows.

When the cursor goes off the screen, I'm clicking the center tool.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbnqbE62UI

On 2/19/2017 at 7:36 AM, 447Debbie said:

It would be nice to type in the wall section's width, and then tell the program to freeze it so that it doesn't change when I go to the next section of the wall and change it.

You are not changing the wall, you are changing the location of the window.

The dimensions shown are from window to window, or window to wall, and have nothing to do with the containing wall.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:27 PM, solver said:

You are not changing the wall, you are changing the location of the window.

The dimensions shown are from window to window, or window to wall, and have nothing to do with the containing wall.

Understood.  It was a bad choice of words.  I should have said "window spacing dimension" vs. "wall section's width".