Flat roof & flat roof with parapet

Snarkybc

I am using Home Designer Pro 2017.

I am trying to create a house with 10' ceilings on left 2/3 of the house and 12' ceilings on the other 1/3.  The roof that is over the 2/3 part is a shed roof with the high end on the front of the house.  The roof overhang will be 6" front, left side and rear.  The roof over the higher section will be 24" higher with a 6" curb (parapet) framed on top of the truss.  I cannot seem to get the program to show the correct roof.  Can anyone help me?  I have attached my plan view so far

GILBERT_DAN2.plan

Read up on Shed roofs. You should be able to auto build it, but drawing one manually is really easy too.

For the higher roof, what you have now is a low slope hip -- is that what you want?

In in any case, you will need to manually pull the roof planes back from the parapet walls.

Search the Knowledge Base and this forum for parapet walls.

I have read up on shed roofs, and looked at parapet walls.  I cannot seem to get the roof to go the proper way with all the tutorials and forums I have read.  I dont usually post on forums unless I have tried every possible way I know.

If I search this forum for parapet walls, the only thing that comes up is my post.

1 hour ago, Snarkybc said:

"....I am trying to create a house with 10' ceilings on left 2/3 of the house and 12' ceilings on the other 1/3.  The roof that is over the 2/3 part is a shed roof with the high end on the front of the house.  The roof overhang will be 6" front, left side and rear.  The roof over the higher section will be 24" higher with a 6" curb (parapet) framed on top of the truss....."

This is what I want for the roof layout.   If I do it automatic, it doesn't look like it does now.  If I manually move the roof planes I get what I have.

Te ceiling height settings per room tell the roof tool how high to build the baseline of the roof whether you draw it manually or use auto build roofs. Step by step instructions on how to build the various roof types can be found in your "Build Roof Dialog- Roof styles tab". If you have not already read-studied your free "Users Guide" and the section on roof types in your free integral "Reference Manual" should also be carefully studied and then practiced upon in simple test plans to really get grounded.

DJP

Thank you both for your time. 

I have 25 years of AutoCAD experience. 

I have done Architectural Commercial and Residential building design for the past 25 years.  I found this product by doing a little research, and am fairly new at this software.  I have researched extensively on how to do the two types of roofs and have had some limited success.  I thought by posting on the forum what my problem was, I would hopefully get a little help with my dilemma.

I have been told now by two people to go and look at the help section, which of course I have already done.

Thank you again for your time, I guess I will figure out a way on my own.

David and myself are not trying to be difficult, simply trying to point you in the correct direction so you may learn for yourself.

We don't know how much time and effort you have spent on this problem, because you did not say.

You have yet to tell us if you are doing these roof planes manually or automatically, clearly something that makes a difference in helping you.

Have you tried starting a new plan, building a 1 room rectangular structure and putting a roof on it? That's generally how I learn, by breaking a problem down to its basics and then applying what I have learned to the larger problem.

• Upvote 1

I understand Eric, and I am aware you are just trying your best.  I can be a little "snarky" at times, my nickname comes honestly..... sorry. 

I have tried to do the roof planes automatically.  I have tried to do the roof planes manually.  I don't care how it is drawn as long as it appears in the elevations and renderings correctly.  As long as it somewhat represents what the general contractor is going to do, I can always make notes or call out design criteria to ensure the house is built correctly. 

The current plan I attached earlier was done originally from Auto Roof build.  I then deleted the incorrect planes, and revised them manually.

If I draw a 1 room rectangular structure, I can put a shed roof on it and I can put a parapet roof on it.  I understand how to do it and the elevations show correctly.  I believe the problem comes about when you have a house with two separate ceiling heights and two independent roof planes.  Then to compound the problem, there is a parapet to be added to the upper roof only.  The builder wants to have a 3 foot difference between the top of the lower roof and the top  of the parapet.

I noticed there was a roof group when opening up the Room Specification.  I placed the higher roof in Roof Group 1 and the lower roof in Group 2.  This does not seem to make any difference.  I thought maybe someone has had this problem before, and so I have tried the forum.

GILBERT_DAN-Orthographic Full Overview.pdf

GILBERT_A4-ELEVATIONS.pdf

It sounds like you are familiar with the manual roof tools. 

The baseline of the shed roof needs to be over the rear wall -- that is 90 degrees from where it is in the first plan you posted. Does that make sense?

Thinking about the plan first posted here, select the shed part of the roof and rotate it 90 degrees, then review it in a camera view. Delete it and manually draw it starting over the rear wall.

Don't take this as a jab at you, but this seems so obvious to me. Draw a roof plane that slopes in the wrong direction, delete it and draw it 90 or 180 degrees from the first try. I assume the problem is more than it is. 

To auto build, all the walls need to have the correct directive, and rooms need to have the correct room height. You were on the right track, just needed to add for example, High Shed/Gable to the front porch wall, and to raise the ceiling on the porch.

The issue with doing this automatically is the upper roof. Because the common wall will be set to High Shed/Gable, the upper roof will build incorrectly.

If I were doing this roof, I would auto build the roof so the upper roof is correct, turn off auto rebuild roofs, delete and draw manually the lower roof.

I think I have it.  See attached.  I manually messed around with the upper roof plane so that it stopped on the inside of the walls, and then I grabbed the wall in Perspective Overview and lowered the height until it appeared to be about 6" tall from top of roof.  I changed the slope of the upper roof to 0, and voila.  I think the only way you can accomplish this is by manually playing with the roof planes.

I see you use Chief Premier X7, X8, X9.  I was contemplating upgrading to the Premier edition, do you think it is worthwhile?  It appears it is a lot more similar to AutoCAD Architecture than the Pro version I am presently using.

Thank you again for your time, I truly appreciate your response.

GILBERT_POSSIBLE.pdf

GILBERT_SECTION.pdf

Pro and Premier work the same, and I assume they are derived from the same codebase. Premier has additional tools that make many things easier, and allow you to do some things that are impossible in the Home Designer products.

Premier is really for Architects or others where it's used as a tool in their business.

There are plenty of threads on ChiefTalk from former and sometimes concurrent AutoCAD users, mostly saying how much better Chief is for residential, but wishing it showed the maturity of AutoCAD. 

Although I use the software for my business, it's mostly an expensive toy, as I could get by with Pro.

They do offer a month to month rental of Chief, and if you continue paying, you will own it. You may also resell Chief, transferring the license to someone else.

They also offer a free trial, so you may see for yourself.