How to create a pit in a slab floor?

TomGriff

I'm trying to create a pit in the slab floor of a garage. It needs to be about 36"W x 24'D x 12'L, with a 2" step around the top edge to support steel grating. So far I've created a room open below in the garage, and that seems to have formed the pit, but there is a step around the top that appears to be 4" wide x 4" deep and nothing I do seems to change it. Any ideas on how to get the 2" deep step I'm looking for?

Home Designer Pro 2017 2017-02-04 11-45-47-425.jpg

Thanks,

Tom

I did use the room divider with the open below selection and it created the step shown in the pic. The slab feature will probably work to fill it in, but it doesn't look very user friendly at first glance. I'll have  to spend some time to figure it out.

Thanks,

Tom

33 minutes ago, LawB10 said:

See if this helps..

pit 1.pngpit.plan

That is pretty much what I have with the exception of the raised ridge around the edge of the pit. What I need to do is create a recessed lip around the edge for the steel floor grates to sit in, so they are flush with the floor. Most grates are around 1 1/2' thick, so if I had a lip that deep and a couple inches wide around the top. life would be good.

Thanks,

Tom

Got it! I used the soffit tool to add a 4" x 2" filler on top of the foundation walls, leaving a 4" x 2" recessed ledge around the top of the pit. Only problem I ran into was that when I added the fourth soffit, it completely filled in the pit. Not sure why, but the fix was to deselect the "Auto Adjust Height" box. :unsure:

The overall solution was to create a room open below using room dividers, Then drop down a level and create foundation walls, using the reference floor feature to align and offset them with the opening above. Then use the soffits to raise the tops of the foundation walls to within 2" of the floor to create the ledge.

Home Designer Pro 2017 2017-02-05 14-48-31-792.jpg

Thanks for the help,

Tom