Which wall goes through which at the corner

cindyw224

wallends.planWALL ENDS.jpg

I am trying to put my shower glass panel and door between the two alcove walls.  I have been trying to use the "wall ends" in the "structure" tab of the wall DBX.  The help states that I may turn on start and end indicators in preferences, but I can not find that.  I assume it would be in the "Architectural" tab.  Please help.

I don't think showing the Start and End indicators is actually going to do what you think it is.  Based on your image, you have a glass wall attached to two other walls so that the drywall won't wrap the ends, which looks bad.  Probably the easiest thing to do would be to just delete the glass wall (or make it Invisible if you need the room definition) and use a Cabinet partition set to a glass material instead.

• Upvote 2

You're trying to do something the program doesn't want to do because of the way it's designed.

What I've shown, and will try to describe will get you close.

Suggest doing this in a practice plan first.

Draw 4 walls to create a bathroom. Draw the 3 walls to form the shower using interior walls.

Place a Doorway in the front wall. Turn off Casing and Threshold. Change the height so the bottom is lower than your finished floor, and it's high enough that it extends a bit above the ceiling. You should now have what looks like 2 side walls, with no front wall.

Draw an interior wall a foot or so in front of the opening. Change it to a Glass Shower wall. Set it to No Room Definition and No Locate. Add a Slab Door, set it's thickness to 1/2", change the Exterior material to Glass, remove Casing and Threshold. You should have a full height glass wall with a door. In a camera view, select the wall, grab the handle on the top and drag it down to the correct height. Select the wall and place it within the opening. Adjust as needed. 

Place a soffit outside the opening. Adjust to 4.5" thick, set height etc. Move soffit into opening and adjust to create the half wall.

Place a second soffit outside the opening. This will be used to apply the base molding to. Make 1/16" thick and as high as your molding. Move up against the previously placed soffit and apply the base molding. 

I would suggest using a Custom Backsplash where you want tile. This will give you more control than just painting the walls, and you may also need to use slabs or soffits as well, depending on how accurate you want to be.

Post back with questions.

cindyw224 1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is an idea for an alternate plan. Master closet and bath area swap places resulting in a larger closet.

Public bath and second bedroom are reconfigured to add privacy to the bath and bedroom, and increase closet space.

cindyw224 2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is how the outside might look using the above plan mods.

I raised the pitch on the forward facing gables so the main roof ridges are at the same height. Cleans up the look a bit, and gives the front gables a little more presence. 

cindyw224 3.jpg

And this is a popular option.

cindyw224 4.jpg

One more showing small change in roof.

cindyw224 5.jpg

And an alternate siding.

cindyw224 6.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes wall intersections.  How do I make the glass wall fit between the two alcove walls.  I know lots of tricks to make it look right.  We are building this so I want the design to match what I want built.

David, thank you the video was very informative.

Eric,  Than you for the ideas.  I am still trying to take it all in.

Eric,  I love the changes to the guest bed, bath and roof.  Looks like a lot more money though.  We do not need anywhere near the amount of closet space you designed for the master bedroom.  I am re thinking the shower.  I expect mobility problems in the future, and am thinking of doing a big shower with no door.

new bath.dxf

Eric,  I love the changes to the guest bed, bath and roof.  Looks like a lot more money though.  We do not need anywhere near the amount of closet space you designed for the master bedroom.  I am re thinking the shower.  I expect mobility problems in the future, and am thinking of doing a big shower with no door.

here it is

feb2 changes.jpg

13 hours ago, cindyw224 said:

I expect mobility problems in the future

I suspected that, seeing that all your interior doors are 3' wide.

Lots of good info available online, like this page which describes clearances.

Chapter 3: Clear Floor or Ground Space and Turning Space

An easy way of visualizing turning space is to draw a circle of the desired diameter. I've added a hatch to this one so it stands out.

cindyw224 7.jpg

Consider toilet access as well. Generally, one side should be accessible. In your revised plan, using a curtain instead of a fixed enclosure for the shower would work well. 

The plan provided is clearly incomplete, but one suggestion is to integrate the laundry with the master bath. A stacked washer/dryer does not take much space.

• Upvote 1

here it is

feb2 changes.jpg

Thanks again Eric.  If when need, this new plan will be easy to modify for toilet access. 

We will be keeping the laundry in the mudroom.  It is also our dog's room.

I am meeting with a builder tomorrow.