Sloped/angle wall going down stairs

cpatullo

Greetings all.  I'm fairly new to HD.

Using HD Architect 2017.

I'm trying to make a triangular opening on one side of the stairs, opening into a room in the basement.  From what I see, Pro has an easier way of accomplishing this, but I obviously do not have Pro.  So, is there a way to get this done in Architect?  In the attached picture, the opening would be on the right side, leaving a bit of a short wall to prevent small children from jumping off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stairs.JPG

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, solver said:

So we are clear -- is this what you want to do?

cpatullo 1.jpg

Solver - how did you do this?  I didn't get around to working on this until just now - I apologize for the delay...

That's a railing wall set to Follow Stairs in the center, a normal wall on either side, and a soffit to fill in the top.

Snap9.thumb.jpg.c64abfbc85bc5452ace36b9902305363.jpg

If you do not have that option, you may be able to edit the wall polyline in an elevation.

Select the wall. Hit the 3 key (shortcut to Break) and click on the top of the wall where you want your opening to start. Do the same where you want the opening to end. Select the edit handle between your breaks and pull the wall down. Use one of the corner edit handles to shape the slope.

Snap8.thumb.jpg.ef0d9877a77145db8c66bbbd5e03e2d1.jpg

As previously suggested,  place a half-wall at that side of the stairs.  When the wall is carefully placed, it will automatically 'follow the stairs'.

Place wall breaks where you want the raised walls, open up the 'new' wall sections, and raise the rail height to the ceiling.

OK, I think I see my problem now.

With the 'follow stairs', it will put the wall at a height that followed the railing.  What if the wall height was only to be 6" above the tread, not the 32-36" that a railing would be at?

The wall to the left of the stairway - the blue wall.

Currently, the stairs are only the width as shown - do I need the stairs to extend to the left (to the extent of the outer edge of the existing wall) and then create the railing wall?

stairway.jpg