Trouble with gable roof

jerry8491

I am a novice user of Home Designer Architect. I was having trouble getting a gable roof to cover a rear space on the 2nd floor. I made the room an Unspecified type room. Then the gable drew (but still have an issue with that--see below). However, the area for bay window on the first floor of the Dining Area then extends all the way to the roof--a bump out of the wall. There should be no bump out, only a bay window on the 1st floor. The bump out obscures the bedroom window above it on the second floor. How do I get just the bay window, and no bump out? If you change the room type to Attic, the bump out goes away. However, then you get an error message "Error in side ridges while producing a roof plane". And then the roof does not properly cover that rear area on the second floor (which is basically an unbuilt bedroom).

Another issue is that the gable on the side of the house should extend down to the top of the 1st floor. Instead, it extends down to the top of the 2nd floor. How do I get it to extend down to the top of the 1st floor? (I have to do a similar thing on the front of the house.)

Home Designer Architectural 2017

Build 18.3.2.2OSX

Doll House View.jpg

1111161529 (key).jpg

Carlow Drive.plan

Well done first post.

I'd draw the bay in manually. The Bay Window tool is quick, but has many limitations. You will get a foundation under it, so at some point, you will need to turn off auto rebuild foundation and delete the unwanted walls.

For the roof, remember ceiling heights control how the roof builds, so you will need to temporarily adjust them until the roof looks good, then turn off auto rebuild roofs., and set the ceiling heights back.

The gables over the garage will be a challenge, I believe. Here is the results of a few adjustments.

jerry8491 1.jpg

• Upvote 1

The roof pitch on the real house appears to be steeper.   This was done using only 'auto build roof'.

The 'how to' is long winded, but it is what it is, so here goes:

Create 3d full perspective view and vertically tile the window.
Open build roof icon and change the pitch to 9.

Plan view/level 2: Delete bay window walls.  Pull back all interior walls slightly away from the exterior walls  (creates one big room to select).   Open the 'big room' and set the 'finished ceiling' to 0.   The entire floor needs to be set at 0,  including the 'open below' room.
Front east exterior wall (front door is below it):  Drag across the garage to the north wall.   Place a wall break here, on the north wall.   Open the left portion and set as 'gable'.   Open garage portion and set the pitch to 14 (be sure to delete the 'D'). The wall you dragged is already set as 'gable'.
South wall: Put a wall break as close to the front wall as will allow.  Open the small wall section created, and uncheck 'gable'.  Set the pitch at 14.
Back to level 1 Right click the porch railing doorway, and choose 'delete gable over opening'.  Open this front railing wall and set as 'gable'.    Open the south railing wall and set the pitch to 14.
Here's the trickery part:   Draw a new wall,  from the front railing wall to the front door.   Set it maybe 12" away from the garage wall.    Open the wall dbx and set it as 'invisible', and set the pitch to 14.  
You have created a small room.  Open the room dbx and uncheck 'roof over this room'.
Open the adjacent garage wall and set the pitch to 14.

You should now have the roof shown in the pic.   If not, back step and find what setting you missed.   :)

jerry8491 Carlow Dr.JPG

• Upvote 1