Basic dimensions for framing

selectbuilder

Hello, I'm just trying to locat simple interior wall dimensions as well as door and window. Say I'm trying to go left to right on the wall to get the center of the door. If I use point to point I have to zoom in so far to make sure I hit it exact or I get a differant reading every time. I was pretty sure there was a dimension tool that would just grab outside of framing and let me snap it to any opening or wall channel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you 

Jon 

Do you want to place objects like a door or window via a center dimension, or, are you wanting dimensions on the plan for use by the builder?

I'll draw CAD lines sometimes for the dimension tool to pick up, or to aid in positioning something.

Have you reviewed the Knowledge Base and applicable videos?

Hi Eric, I'm actually the builder, I have dimensioned plans but you have to do a lot of adding when your 40' across the wall. I was trying to just pull a new dimension, say from outside framing to a window 34' down the wall. Instead of having to add all the other dimensions along the way to get my number. I can get close with the point to point but is there a easier way to say grab framing to framing of opening ?

I did this in Chief (first image) using one of the dimension tools not available in Pro. All dimensions were done at once. It may be set to pick up rough openings, centers etc.

It's a bit tedious, but you may get the same info in Pro. (second image)

Do Automatic Exterior Dimensions, setting them first to pick up rough openings, if that's what you want.

Use the End to End dimension tool to dimension to the leader lines produced by the Automatic Dimension tool.

Delete the Automatic Dimensions if desired.

selectbuilder 1.jpg

selectbuilder 2.jpg