Cement Post (Column) calculation Error

Acropolis

I am noting a calculation error in materials calculation, Cement Post (Column).

I created a column, via BUILD POST, then changed the material to solid concrete, then copied the column to all the locations I needed.

3meters high, 250mm by 250mm, there are 50 of then...

The software is calculating I need 937 cubic meters!!!!!!!!! of concrete, like $150, 000.

Manually the rocket scientist calculated for me each column should take .2 cu meters of concrete, accounting for extra or 10 cu meters of concrete, what's wrong with this picture?

Here is a plan with a concrete post - it is doing same thing

has two posts.plan

I think rather this is an end user error. to emulate a cement Post (column). if the column is solid concrete if you use a custom slab then the material should then compute properly but if the column is not solid concrete but rather a column made of cement blocks filled with concrete and steel then one would then have to precisely 3D model the object exactly as it is intended to be built in the field. The materials list just reads what you did in the construction of the 3D plan file. That it all it is capable of so you must model objects exactly as they are to be built. The materials list just reads what you did only and how you did it.

DJP

David, why is it my error, I define a 3D object with three dimensions, all >0 and define the material as per one of the drop downs in HDPor, "SOLID CONCRETE"..

Should work, you made a very wrong assumption that I used something else like blocks, which the attached plan did not include, block is block, concrete is concrete.

To the same extent, Framing top and bottom defined as and built out of solid concrete is solid concrete.

so I did an entirely new plan, momolithic slab with footings, walls defined as solid concrete, should be no pine int he structural and basic materials list and to column volumes are WAY off.

Why?

Did you open the plan I attached - what's wrong with that column post definition?

I think David was probably looking at Premier (it probably lets you control the amount of rebar and whatnot), but it sounds like his basic assertion was right that a "Post" is not the right tool for what you were hoping to do.

If you use a "Slab" 3000mm thick, with width and depth set to 250mm, and then create a Material's List, it should only show the Concrete you were hoping for.

• 5 months later...

why would you use a slab where you need a wall?

Makes no sense.

One should be able to control the material content of a wall, stem wall lower from concrete upper wood and maybe even a third layer, other cad programs do it, why HD Pro no?

18 hours ago, Acropolis said:

why would you use a slab where you need a wall?

My point is that to get an accurate Materials List, the End User must model the column, post or whatever accurately in detail that object.So if your calculations are off it is because you have not accurately modeled the object in detail. This is true in Chief Premiere and in Home Designer titles.

DJP

David, please stop indicating user error - to the contrary there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 100% S-O-L-I-D C-O-N-C-R-E-T-E columns that I modeled and posted many moths ago.

This is not user error, rebar is insignificant in the volume.

A column is a column - wood steel plastic or concrete and it should calculate properly regardless

What is wrong with the two column plan posted above - did you open it?

Can't be making odd weird things like a slab 3000mmx250mmx250mm - how are you going to make the walls that fill the space between these columns? brick slabs with extremely cumbersome dimensions too?

This has two posts is also interesting in that the walls are treating the posts as transparent

has two posts.plan