Need Help building stairs and stairwell

KarenC63

Not an Error Message I have seen before , but it sounds like you need to fix some wall connections ?

The upper and lower stairs should have the same tread depth and Riser Height ...or they wont meet Code , the look to be incorrect in your image as the tread lines don't line up with each other. 

Post your new plan and I'll look when I have time....

Mick.

Click on the stairs and then on the Auto Stairwell Tool.

The error message tells you what is needed.

Go up one level and see there are railings that have been built (image 1).

The railing needs to be manually connected to the left wall (image 2). I am guessing because the upper and lower walls are not aligned.

Now you have completed the connection and made a room. Change type to Open Below.

See image 3.

Arn't stairs fun  :)

-- Eric

Solver pretty much got it above  but your staircase isn't to Code ("best fit" isnt working correctly apparently) and seems to be missing a tread so I deleted it and started again....

Make the stairwell 6'11" wide with walls aligned in basement and 1st floor  (pic)

in basement draw a cad line 39" off top wall left to right ( this is the reqd landing depth) make it loner than room so you can find later to delete it.

draw 1st staircase ,7 treads (steps) long towards the Cad line , move staircase so top is lined up with CAD line drawn above

open staircase dbx , uncheck auto treads. check lock treads make treads 7, tread width 11"  etc  (See Pic)

while open , turn off stringer at wall ( unless you want it?) on style tab and on railing tab turn off railings on the left and turn on railing transitions and "smooth on the right. Don't know your Code but railings are generally 36" high in most areas too. Close DBX

click on Staircase tool again and draw the upper stairs away from the 39" CAD line as normal , then click just above the CAD line between the two staircase to get the Landing to auto generate , the 2nd staircase will usually have picked up most of the settings from the 1st staircase  Automatically but open and check the  boxes etc as above. You can delete CAD line now ,it's no longer needed.

Click on the staircase , then on the auto stairwell tool , answer ok to error message  (This is due to the misaligned basement double wall and single 1st flr wall ,  you will have a ledge there and under the Window), now move upto 1st floor , grab upright Railing wall ( see pic..pink) and drag over to Blue corner , (may need CTRL  key to drag past corner) and line up with drywall. 1st time I did this the stairwell automatically opened to below , second time I had to select the room and specify Open to below ...not sure what I did different ..if anything?  

You will now see the Ledge , which you can use Soffits or as I did, the Slab Tool to make 1 1/2" thick "Wood" to cover the exposed framing  (see pic) 

Solver is right , the upper Masterbath wall is not 0.0 °deg.

you might want to make the staircase windows 72" tall if you want to open them from the landing ? you wont reach currently its over 7'

hopefully this helps..... sorry I cant just upload a "fixed plan" but I don't have Pro 2015 ,so am using the Trial to look at your Plan. 

post-25-0-61630400-1409805844_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-05644300-1409805566_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-13110100-1409805596_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-80611900-1409805638_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much . . . both of you . . . I followed your instructions, including straightening the bath/closet wall, and now I have a beautiful staircase/stairwell but still no floor on level 1.  

Sorry but I was not able to follow your lead in drawing a CAD line in the position you specified - maybe that has an impact?  And I am not sure how to specify the width/dimensions for the width of the stairwell.

I am attaching 2 images

Its great having the Stairs/Stairwell work so easily! Now I just need a floor on level 1 . . . is it possible that my walls are not connected somewhere? 

So grateful . . . but still at a loss about the floor.post-669-0-01205300-1409927386_thumb.jpgpost-669-0-97427200-1409927386_thumb.jpg

No the Cad line was just to make it easier to place the stairs correctly 1st time as the stairs and landing must be the same width to meet Code ( minimum is 39")

Looks like you got the 6'11" between walls ok from your image .....

You maybe right about a disconnected wall ....when you used auto stairwell it has made the whole area Open below , so you maybe just able to reassign the "room" as unspecified for now and the floor should come back.....

does your cursor show the broken wall icon ?

Post the new plan perhaps

Here is the revised plan . . . not sure what you mean by 'broken wall' icon . . . and how do I 'reassign' the "room" . . . just one more question: when I was making the space for the stairs to be 6' 11", well, I wan't able to actually be exact in the dimension. Is there a way to be exact?

Thank you so much!Drawing1.plan

Gosh I am frustrated.  I have cloned my plan and using the 2nd version to master some of my new skills . . . BUT when I build my stairs, the 'stairwell' option does NOT show up when I use the right mouse . . . instead it says 'starter tread' . . . how do I get back?

you can click on most temporary dimensions and it will open a DBX and you can input a exact measurement....the cursor will change if the dimension number (string) will accept/open and allow direct input of measurements.

if there is a broken/unconnected wall in 2015 a new feature is a small icon will appear next to the cursor  ( same as the angle snap one you had in the beginning) , the icon is always on the Edit toolbar too.  But no Icon by cursor should equal no broken walls ,however you may need a wall/room divider to split the room ?

Assigning the Room name/type changes other values too ie whether the room has a floor, ceiling or roof.... you wont be able to select the room if there is a broken wall though. Otherwise click on the floor of the room you want to assign as a different type and open it and on the general tab choose the type of room you want , if not sure just use "Unspecified" for now. 

I think Auto stairwell only works once per Stairwell , so you would need to delete the stairs/landing and start again is my guess.

M.

As I suspected the Auto stairwell setting has somehow turned 1/2 the main floor into an Open Below Room , so I just assigned the "room" back to a Family Room ( could use any room or unspecified)          and the floor is back...... 

you'll need to remind me where we are at   :)    Stairs are in and floor is back ....

As per your plan

post-25-0-63144100-1410026534_thumb.jpg

My setting

post-25-0-20106400-1410026545_thumb.jpg

the result

post-25-0-58268700-1410026559_thumb.jpg

Alright!  I re-named the living area and got my floor back!  YAY!  And I after I did that, I was able to build my stairwell!!  YAY!!!  Ha ha ha this program may have a very steep learning curve for me, but if y'all will hang in there with me, I think I can do this!