Creating Decks

DimacHomes

Creating a deck on a just created plan is the issue. While I can create the deck using the railings and naming the space a deck, it results in a deck with no supports and no floor or decking.

Starting a fresh plan (as a test), results in  a fully functional deck is OK. 

Attached is the plan with the bad deck as well as the test plan with the OK deck.

I suspect the plan that is not working has likely not been set-up correctly when I started drawing the house. Something is stopping me.

I had no issues until I switched from Home Design PRO to SUITE

Claude Xuereb

What am I missing??

Paul_Menke.plan

Deck test.plan

The 2 plans you submitted are like night and day...they don't relate to each other.

You need to better explain the look that you are trying to get.

Are you referring to the area with the pool as a deck?   What part of it is supposed to be a deck?

Not enough info.

The plans are not related. The plan marked TEST was to show that the system is capable of making a deck and that I understand how to make a deck

The Paul Menke plan is a two storey house for which a deck is being added on the upper floor. The deck appears on the Western side with the railing but has no deck or supports. In fact if you attempt to create a stand alone deck anywhere on the lot, it creates with no deck or supports. A deck can be created OK on a fresh plan which means that the failure relates to the plan set-up rather than the procedure used to create the deck. 

To help me resolve the issue please create a deck anywhere in the Paul Menke plan and you will see the issue,

I could discard the plan and start again, however identifying the issue will insure I do not recreate the problem down the track.

Your assistance in problem solving and patience is much appreciated,

Claude

PS I have updated the file with the deck showing the issue

Deck test.plan

Paul_Menke.plan

Paul Menke.planThe plans are not related. The plan marked TEST was to show that the system is capable of making a deck and that I understand how to make a deck

The Paul Menke plan is a two storey house for which a deck is being added on the upper floor. The deck appears on the Western side with the railing but has no deck or supports. In fact if you attempt to create a stand alone deck anywhere on the lot, it creates with no deck or supports. A deck can be created OK on a fresh plan which means that the failure relates to the plan set-up rather than the procedure used to create the deck. 

To help me resolve the issue Paul Menke.plan create a deck anywhere in the Paul Menke plan and you will see the issue,

I could discard the plan and start again, however identifying the issue will insure I do not recreate the problem down the track.

Your assistance in problem solving and patience is much appreciated,

Claude

PS I have updated the file with the deck showing the issue

The railing are outside the building on the Western side. There are rails inside the house but are not relevant to the issue.

Please just try and create a deck yourself either attached to the house or stand-alone and you will see the issue.

I have resent the plan in case what was posted was not fully received  or the faulty deck is somehow not being included

Thanks,

Claude

I have checked the Deck Room defauls and a plank floor is indicated.

Have you tried creating a deck in the Plan?

Have you tried  to check that my defaults are correct?

If you change the Deck defaults for me, Are you able to  create the deck?

Please do not give up on me. My only alternative is to start afresh.

Thank you,

Claude

Thank you for your efforts.

There is an obvious difference between your system and mine. I am using Home Designer Suite 2017 just purchased last week.

Previously I used the PRO version unfortunately I changed builders and lost the use of PRO. Hence the new purchase

When I select Edit Defaults..>>> select Room...>>>> Select Deck Room, I don't get the screen you show .

What I get is a screen indicating 3 items with no dimensions

Deck Beams      Fir

Deck Planks      Plank 03 Decking

Deck Post          Fir stock Std.

I can change them but there is no facility to input dimensions

Is it a limitation of the Suite vs the PRO package?

If you opened my plan using other than The Suite version it may account for the discrepancy.

Again thanks for all you've done......I believe I will redraw as I cannot seem to be able to copy the Plan and paste it on a new blank plan. I only seem to be able to copy level 1 rather than both level 1 and 2 on the blank plan.

I am certain it is a default problem, however I would have thought the standard defaults would have provided a deck plank of nominal thickness and post of a also a nominal thickness.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Claude

Thank you for your efforts.

There is an obvious difference between your system and mine. I am using Home Designer Suite 2017 just purchased last week.

Previously I used the PRO version unfortunately I changed builders and lost the use of PRO. Hence the new purchase

When I select Edit Defaults..>>> select Room...>>>> Select Deck Room, I don't get the screen you show .

What I get is a screen indicating 3 items with no dimensions

Deck Beams      Fir

Deck Planks      Plank 03 Decking

Deck Post          Fir stock Std.

I can change them but there is no facility to input dimensions

Is it a limitation of the Suite vs the PRO package?

If you opened my plan using other than The Suite version it may account for the discrepancy.

Again thanks for all you've done......I believe I will redraw as I cannot seem to be able to copy the Plan and paste it on a new blank plan. I only seem to be able to copy level 1 rather than both level 1 and 2 on the blank plan.

I am certain it is a default problem, however I would have thought the standard defaults would have provided a deck plank of nominal thickness and post of a also a nominal thickness.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Claude

You could save yourself from all that extra work by just faking it.

Draw your deck, then change it's room type to anything that has a floor finish thickness to it.

A floor finish should appear.  Change the floor material to decking / planks / make your choice.

You need to fix your signature.  You are showing that you are using Pro 2015.

I still haven't figured out why the standard deck defaults are not working.  Does anyone know?

Hi Jo Ann,

I faked it just as you said. Inserted columns in place of the posts and foundations that did not generate. Thanks heaps, You saved "My Bacon"!.I've loaded the result and you may wish to see my faking

To SOLVER Thanks for your efforts and I will report the problem via a ticket. I need to fix my inability to change my signature from Pro to Suite anyway. They may shed some light on the problem

Paul Menke.

Happy new year to you and the Forum members from 'Downunder',

Cheers,

Claude

Looks good...but you still have some tweaking to do.   Your deck floor has carpeting.  :)

Your pool is partially not showing, and you still need a driveway surface.

Post back with info from tech support.  It has to be something you did in that particular plan.

Signature:  After you login, click on your name (upper right screen).   Choose settings / signature.

Happy New Year!

I did an edit area copy/paste into a new plan, and it fixed the problem ( a deck built correctly). 

You said that you WERE able to copy/paste level 1  into a new plan.  Did you try to build a deck in that new plan?

In the new plan (with level 1 already copy/pasted), choose to build new floor/blank plan. 
Go back to the original plan, and go to level 2.   Use edit area again and copy.
Go back to the new plan (you should be on level 2 blank floor),  and select paste hold position.  

This should now give you the complete house, and you can draw a real deck instead of having to fake it.

Menke house.JPG

Hi Jo Ann,

I faked it just as you said. Inserted columns in place of the posts and foundations that did not generate. Thanks heaps, You saved "My Bacon"!.I've loaded the result and you may wish to see my faking

To SOLVER Thanks for your efforts and I will report the problem via a ticket. I need to fix my inability to change my signature from Pro to Suite anyway. They may shed some light on the problem

Paul Menke.

Happy new year to you and the Forum members from 'Downunder',

Cheers,

Claude

16 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Looks good...but you still have some tweaking to do.   Your deck floor has carpeting.  :)

Your pool is partially not showing, and you still need a driveway surface.

Post back with info from tech support.  It has to be something you did in that particular plan.

Signature:  After you login, click on your name (upper right screen).   Choose settings / signature.

Happy New Year!

13 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

I did an edit area copy/paste into a new plan, and it fixed the problem ( a deck built correctly). 

You said that you WERE able to copy/paste level 1  into a new plan.  Did you try to build a deck in that new plan?

In the new plan (with level 1 already copy/pasted), choose to build new floor/blank plan. 
Go back to the original plan, and go to level 2.   Use edit area again and copy.
Go back to the new plan (you should be on level 2 blank floor),  and select paste hold position.  

This should now give you the complete house, and you can draw a real deck instead of having to fake it.

Menke house.JPG

13 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Menke house.JPG

You are correct, the plan needs finishing off but I wanted to show you that I took your advice.

Regarding changing the signature, my name does not appear on the screen. So I cannot change anything. Hence the need to get support to correct how I am registered,

Thanks again guys and I will post any comments from support as to why I experienced problems on that plan,

Cheers,

Claude