Question on Imported Solids

TomGriff

The roof overhangs and balcony's in the design I'm working on require some sort of brace, and since I'm a metalworking kind of guy, I though something fabricated from aluminum would be fun. I decided to use a section of ASA I beam with a fitting at each end to attach to the soffit, or underside of the balcony's and the wall. Since Sketchup is new to me, it was a little painful, but I was able to create the section of I beam with tabs and mounting holes on each end and import it into Home designer, but am not sure how to handle the fittings. It would be nice to make them part of a brace assembly, but they would need to flexible to adjust to the varying angles of the roof and balcony's, depending on where they were used. The lengths would need to vary as well. Would that be possible, or would the fittings and beam have to be separate parts to maintain that degree of flexibility? I'd rather not have to create dedicated assemblies with fixed angles and lengths, but will if I have to, now that I know how :).

Thanks,

Tom

Home Designer Pro 2017 2017-01-02 14-23-24-276.jpg

Yes Eric, I did the modeling in Sketchup and imported it into HD as shown in the image below. My question was how to deal with the mounting fittings on the ends (not shown yet). Sketchup must have a similar forum, I'll post it over there as well.

Tom