Should there be a 20MB difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of HD 2017 Pro?

Keith_K

Somewhat against my better judgement I upgraded to the 2017 version of HD Pro yesterday afternoon and downloaded the software which is now awaiting installation.  I notice that the 64 bit version for Mac was also downloaded and that it shows a file size of 291MB whereas the 32 bit Windows version only has a file size of 271 MB.  Should this be the case?

As some of you might know I am not a tech fundi and because my upgrade to the 2016 version was fraught with problems I am hesitant to do the installation of the new software in case something is missing from it and I have to go through all the hassle I went through before.  I have tried the check this information on the HD website but can't find an answer.

Thank you.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Different operating systems and 64 vs 32 bit.

I don't know what previous upgrade problems you had, but would not hesitate to install the new version.

If you find issues, you can always uninstall and then install 2016.

• Upvote 1

The 64 bit executables  and libraries are always larger, because of 64 bit byte alignment for CPU instructions and data during the software compile. It is a fact of life.  

And like Eric told you even tho it is the same CPU, comparing MAC deliverable size to Windows10 MSI [Microsoft Installer] wrapped into executable makes very little sense.

I would not be comparing real executable sizes, but you are comparing the packaging. This is like comparing two gifts based on the size of gift boxes they were placed in.

ChiefArchitect lines of software run very well on Mac and PCs, it is up to a consumer to decide the preference.

OK!  OK!  Message received! :)

Eric, I've un-hesitated and installed the new software.  Didn't go as it should have according to the instructions I printed off as I wasn't given the opportunity of excluding templates and sample plans from the installation.  These are all in unchangeable American dimensions and are of no use to me and they just take up disc unnecessary space.  That said, at least I don't get asked whether I want to allow the software to make changes to my computer every time I open a plan as I did after downloading 2016 last year.

Now to have a look and see what interesting changes have been made.  Most interested to see whether they have listened to what people have said and have now provided the facility to set the inset distance of doors like they do with windows.  It will also interest me to see if the internal dimensions remain the same on each if I open two copies of the plan in separate windows.  Why do I do that, you might ask.  One copy is the Master plan and the other is where I play around with furniture and fittings etc.  I'm strange that way.  :ph34r:  On the current plan that I am busy with there were differences which took me ages to discover the cause of.  For some reason the start point of the measurement one copy had moved from the wall surface to a couple of pixels into the wall.  I still haven't finished finding the errant arrow points and moving them back to where they belong.

> Didn't go as it should have according to the instructions I printed off as I wasn't given the opportunity of excluding templates and sample plans from the installation.  These are all in unchangeable American dimensions and are of no use to me and they just take up disc unnecessary space. 

Your old templates are under My Documents\Home Designer Architectural 2016\Templates... They are not unchangeable .. per say.. but changes from imperial to metrics would take a long time. I converted imperial plan to metrics and back before. 

>said and have now provided the facility to set the inset distance of doors like they do with windows.

My guess is NO, this feature was requested on ChiefArchitect line forums number of times, never seen them interested ...

> For some reason the start point of the measurement one copy had moved from the wall surface to a couple of pixels into the wall. 

Normally, in construction, dimensions are frame to frame not from the finished surface. So if you can dimensions adjust dimensions settings accordingly.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00491/changing-your-dimension-settings.html