Dormer bugs

SAILOR139

I recently upgraded to 2017 Suite hoping the software developers would fix the dormer bugs.  Unfortunately, this did not happen.  The automatic dormer still does not extend the walls to the floor and blows up when walls are attached.  Also, the manual dormers still has holes in the side walls.  Or, in some cases the main roof decides take on the dormer shed roof pitch.  I understand sometimes we can spend hours finding patches or fixes that somewhat makes things look right, but they are very sensitive to exploding if not handle with kid gloves. 

Will Chief Architect please respond to the above; set a date for the fixes; or inform us of your decision not to fix.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Solver, Suite has the auto dormer tool, but you can also build it manually, it's not a true dormer, more like shed roof inside the main roof.

Sailor when you build manually, you have to move the interior wall that was used to create the shed dormer UP to cover the hole.

Unfortunately, this causes two problems: 1) the main roof above the dormer takes on the same pitch as the dormer shed roof has; 2) it removes several dozen sq feet from your dormer rooms.

The inverted wedges solves the image problem, see above.  I just wish CA would fix this bug.

I have used both manual and auto tool.  The auto tool works great in certain applications; and, can be jury rigged in other applications.  This is the other bug which needs to be fixed.

Thank you for your comments.

The 1st pic is how it looks with the ceiling.

The 2nd pic is how it looks without the ceiling.

The 3rd pic is how looks when you adjust the attic wall(s). The ceiling height for the dormer is 84" and the pitch is 4", the main roof's pitch is 12".

It becomes an issue when you remove the ceiling.

shed dormer.jpgshed dormer 1.jpgshed dormer 2.jpg

I must be dense, I'm not sure what you are showing me.  I realize when the knee wall is moved the hole can be closed; however, this does not meet the designer's requirements.   This requires making a room several feet less in width or length just to satisfy the bug; this does work if the dormer is as long as the upper story; very little is lost in sq footage.  And, by the way, it is a bug.  Been in CAD for over 40 years; this would never fly in the automotive industry.   But, as explain in an earlier part of this thread the hole can be patched.

The purpose of initiating the thread was to have CA respond to it or someone who might be aware when CA will fix these problems.  I have received some work arounds which most of us are aware.  A more robust software package would help.

With all this said, I still think it is a good package and can't be beat for the price.  I'm just trying to encourage CA to tweak it and make it just a little bit better.

A couple years ago it was suggested I buy PRO.  I do not do this for a living; hence, will not spend 500 dollars for an occasional DIY project.  I also suspect PRO would not solve the problem above.

I think we probably can let this thread rest unless CA wants to jump in.

If I'm correct that's the original look, It was altered by removing the ceiling and that's what you get.

The 3rd pic is when you move the attic wall, not the knee wall. With the knee wall, it's goes sofar and you have to stop or

It will cause the roof to change, that's when you use the attic wall to finish filling the hole.

To get the look you want, try this: create a room next the auto dormer and check "no room definition" use a box shape and

raise it, then use a wedge to fill in.

The dormer images below were created using the manual dormer technique.  The room has a ceiling.  The side wall for the dormer was extended and a door inserted in the wall for demo purposes only.  Extending the wall closes the hole in the interior and exterior.  However, a 9/16 thick inverted wedge was required to create a surface on the exterior; this was painted to match the existing shake shingles.

Manual Dormer Exterior Fixed.jpg

Manual Dormer  Interior Fixed.jpg